SPI + NVMe booting(beta)

1.3 with SPI flash? Did you solder one yourself ?

So you got a chip there just below the cpu where the above shows empty?

No. It comes with the SPI flash soldered on board.

Just 1.4 is ver with soldered spi, 1.3 was like above.
Guess they may be soldering at source now.

It’s probably the 1.3 “limited edition” allnetchina is selling.

Possibly. They sell it as a bundle offer (the 4B board, 16MB SPI Flash, NVMe Extension and 16GB eMMC).

Exactly this one.

Oh that aint a bad price but dunno about that SSD, v1.3 myself no spi so can not test with integral ssd.

Hi, I think I have similar config as yours. I am trying to boot Ubuntu Server on Kingston A1000 240GB NVMe alone without any other storage media (such as eMMC and uSD). I tried a few days without success. I was wondering whether you have any progress on this.

In fact I am planning to use this powerful SBC as my Java Application Server running LAMP. That’s why I am keen to use NVMe as the storage media in order to speed up the I/O performance. Currently I use an Intel i7-7700 machine running Fedora 30 which is far more than my usage requirement. With this SBC, I think I can cut down my electricity bill substantially.

Hoping the Radxa team can help as well.
Cheers

Nothing new, sorry.
My Rock Pi just getting dusty, waiting for good times with working u-boot, as there’s no point for me to use it with uSD+nvme.
I think I could send my SSD to Radxa team for some time(a month or so) to perform some debugging if it help.

Thanks for your quick response.
Hoping the Radxa team could spend some of their valuable time on this subject.

Just received my " ROCK PI 4B 4GB v1.3+ Limited Edition Bundle (incl. mounted 16MB SPI Flash)"

so I am burning an image of debian on a KingSpec m.2 pcie nvme

Did you manage to boot the nvme alone (without eMMC and uSD)?

No, I tried four different images post on radxa, none would boot

rockpi4_debian_stretch_lxde_armhf_20181105_2120-gpt
Armbian_5.67_Rockpi4b_Debian_stretch_default_4.4.154_desktop_20181210-gpt
Armbian_5.90_Rock64_Debian_buster_default_4.4.182_desktop
rockpi4-debian-arm64-4.4.154.c83

Note: mine has the green led illuminated

I did have some question on how to format the drive… mbr or gpt

oh and don’t buy the ‘starter aluminum housing’ is a real pain… took two hours with file to make the opening work. Then you can’t route the m.2 cable.

The green light indicates the pi is powered on. There should be another LED, presumably red, next to the green light when you successfully installed the u-boot on SPI flash.

You don’t need to format the drive if it is used to save the rockpi image. The image you copied will format and partition your drive appropriately. If you want to format the drive in your host computer, for Windows you can use the File Explorer and right click on the device to select the format action. For linux, I use garted to format hard drive. I usually select gpt for drive capacity larger than 2TB. Cheers.

I dis-asembled the case/extender, when I boot with an sd, the little red led flickers intermitently
currently configuring the buster armbian 5.91 image

Unless you guys use a serial console your just blind.
Just take it that it doesn’t work until it does,

1 Like

我就想问问能不能用spi flash启动armbian呢?

Its seems that Nimue_Hexadragon had tried this. See below link

拔出所有的储存介质时,蓝灯亮了。使用OTG烧录进去的,现在单独插上ssd还是亮蓝灯并没有从ssd启动系统,咋回事呢?系统是rock wiki下载的debian,用windows烧进去的,如果用sd和ssd一起插入,系统会再ssd中运行,说明系统是可行的,大概就是SPI flash没有从ssd启动。怎么办??????