Running Home Assistant on Rock Pi 4

I chose with Home Assistant for my smart home project after tried other solutions.

I’m using a ZWave.Me RaZberry HAT on Rock Pi 4, and a pair of Enerwave Smart Switch with Energy Monitor as starter. Probably you know Rock Pi 4 doesn’t work out-of-box with HATs talk on RX/TX, actually neither Raspberry Pi 3. They have different problem but all have the same symptoms, RX/TX are occupied by other functions, on Raspberry Pi 3 it’s the Bluetooth, on Rock Pi 4 it’s the FIQ debugger.

Picture: Z-Wave.Me RaZberry riding on Rock Pi 4

After Radxa released the overlays to address the issue, I was able to install ZWave.Me’s official software Z-Way on Rock Pi 4 (the official Debian armhf image), but nobody wants to settle down with armhf when the hardware is capable for 64 bit operation. While I’m working on the OS, I tried the other popular open source smart home software, OpenHAB2, Domoticz and Home Assistant.

They all have their own issues. Z-Way provides free cloud service and the most comprehensive control of RaZberry (of course it’s their own product), but I can’t get Google Assistant installed for some reason. OpenHAB2 is programmed in Java, it’s the worst with Z-Wave (how about Zigbee I don’t know), if you flipped the smart switch manually, the system will never update the status. It can’t read the wattage either. I don’t know how would anyone use the software while it can’t do the very basic thing of a power switch. Home Assistant is a Python software, the installation is buggy and slow, I had to manually install Z-Wave component, but it works once it’s installed and configured correctly. The catch is, you need to pay $5 a month for it’s cloud service (oh my is it open source?) to make use of Google Assistant (and probably Amazon Alexa, I don’t know if you are still interested when “thousands of Amazon employees” could listen to your conversation). In contrast, Samsung Smart-thing, supports both Z-Wave and Zigbee, provides free cloud service and work with all smart speakers out of box for $99 one time payment - open source is not about the cost after all :smiley:

Picture: Home Assistant running on Rock Pi 4/Debian ARM64 (yes I got VS Code installed on Rock Pi 4 too)

Picture: Access Home Assistant through smartphone

When we go with open source, I want to give myself some good reason, I want “total control” over my devices, I want to be able to inspect every piece of the code if I chose to (just in theory, nobody can do that, besides there are always be vendor BLOBs).

My future plan includes building a cloud tunnel so I can use Google Assistant service for free, and replace RaZberry with Matrix Creator (which has both Z-Wave and Zigbee), while adding more devices to the mesh, and use the microphone array on Matrix to build my own smart speaker.

Picture: Enerwave Smart Swith with Energy Monitor, in a 3 gang box next to ethernet and satellite hub.

Picture: Rock Pi 4 and the ultimate HAT Matrix Creator vs ZWave.Me RaZberry

3 Likes

That great to see HA run on the new board like Rock Pi 4. Did you successfully use any GPIO pin for home assistant sensor (like zigbee CC2530) for the board. I read some threads that Raspberry pi alternatives often poor support of software and some Linux distro installed in the board will not fully support the GPIO.

Thank in advance

Support for GPIO, 1W or other stuff exists on most of the boards. I use my HA instance on Allwinner H5 board with Z-Wave and additional 1W sensor attached to the pins directly.

Hello,

I am trying to set up Home Assistant on my recently purchased Rock 4 SE. I have managed to install HA and am now struggling setting up a Raspbee II Zigbee.

I am reading on the forums that I have to disable the bluetooth in the /boot/config.txt in order to get the controller working. You mention that the Rock Pi has other functions occupying the HAT talk, the FIQ debugger you say.

How did you solve this issue in youre case and get your RaZberry HAT to work? Maybe the sollution is similar for my case.

Kind Regards