[ROM] AndroidTV 11 For Rock 3A

I am trying to use this image but my board does not seem to boot.
I used dd command to flash gpt.img to the sdcard from linux

Try with https://www.balena.io/etcher/

Tried it and is the same. Does it work for you?

@mo123 any idea?

@catalinii
Try to delete the partitions on your micro-sd card.
sudo lsblk -o NAME,FSTYPE,SIZE,MOUNTPOINT,LABEL
then
sudo wipefs /dev/sdg -af
(sdg being the drive of your micro-sd card you got in the previous command)
Write with Balena Etcher.

What Rock3A do you have ,ram, OS on emmc or formatted etc?
It boots for me.

Hey,

I have a rock-3a with 8gb ram, using Armbian from the same sd card.

As I write the card using Linux (Armbian on a rockpro64) I am able to use the 32GB sd card just fine with other Linux OSes.

But I really want to explore Android TV 11.

Seems u-boot fails to start android (same happens with the radxa android 11 image):
U-Boot SPL board init
U-Boot SPL 2017.09-ga1f6fc00a0-210413 #ldq (Apr 13 2021 - 11:35:00) unknown raw ID phN
unrecognized JEDEC id bytes: 00, 00, 00
Trying to boot from MMC2
MMC error: The cmd index is 16, ret is -110
MMC error: The cmd index is 17, ret is -110
MMC error: The cmd index is 0, ret is -110
MMC error: The cmd index is 1, ret is -110
Card did not respond to voltage select!
mmc_init: -95, time 151
spl: partition error
Trying to boot from MMC1
MMC error: The cmd index is 0, ret is -110
mmc_init: -110, time 5
spl: mmc init failed with error: -110
SPL: failed to boot from all boot devices

ERROR ### Please RESET the board

Reset the board to bootrom

https://drive.google.com/file/d/1xuTBk4To37kkQs0lxdDxPtl11IJd4FDT/view?usp=sharing

made one for quartz64 , just changed the dts for rock3a

it is from the same base source ,added latest updates some profiles added for hdr

@catalinii
Hi, perhaps try another sd-card with nothing written to it before or SDDisk Formatter to format it properly.

If you use emmc or spi flash also erase it.
https://wiki.radxa.com/Rock3/install/spi

Also erase the partitions on your micro-sd card, they aren’t always removed even if formatted.
sudo lsblk -o NAME,FSTYPE,SIZE,MOUNTPOINT,LABEL
then
sudo wipefs /dev/sdg -af
(sdg being the drive of your micro-sd card you got in the previous command)

The Armbian bootloader or spi might be blocking the Android one from starting, newer ones aren’t compatible anymore with Android.

First try to get the stock firmware working to eliminate all the problems.

Tried all I could think of:
wipefs, dd if=/dev/zero of=/dev/sdX bs=1M

I got only the image from this post working: Android 11 Image For Rock3A Is Now Available

Tried also different cards but getting the same message.
I tried the Android image (not Android TV) and that works too.

@mo123 also, can you post a link to your source code for android tv ?

@catalinii
I will try to make a new image and test it later.
Maybe there is a difference between newer boards and it’s not compatible with older firmware.

1 Like

@catalinii

it is almost all the same source just some diffrence in settings etc . and a more recent uboot i thought
it is a mmc setting where your board is not happy with .

@m0123 can you also update the rkbin folder .111 has some bugs ,

@catalinii

Try this new image I made
I tested on 2 different micro-sd cards and it booted on Rock3A.
Use a mouse or airmouse to scroll down on the setup screen.
Armbian flashed previously to the same micro-sd card can cause booting problems so it must be erased fully.
https://mega.nz/file/AnhmzJqa#LLIFOHUKZ94P1WLK_nDC7wTqp4zDuH91eZueX9DxN2U

Thanks @mo123 it really works well. I zeroed the last 33 sectors of the sdcard and flashed the image.

The only issue I have is that the board goes into standby (I think) when turning off the TV.

In TvSettings - There is an Input menu for HDMI CEC.
You can try to enable/disable those settings or change the Screensaver timeout or disable it.
Perhaps it helps.

I managed to prevent it from going to the sleep mode, but I feel is an issue with CEC connection once the TV goes to sleep (and comes back).
Do you use CEC? Does it work for you good ?

@owenj7920

I don’t undertand why You promote Rock3A in this Android TV topic, which is dead by the way. This is probably not the right place for such comments!

I own Rock 3A, 4B+, 5A and 5B boards. I have tested them all for different tasks and can easily argue about them on the performance side. These boards are very different and no, Rock 3A is not better than Rock 4, it is a cut-down version with a more modern CPU and possibly better GPU, but it cannot compete on CPU side or memory bandwidth with the older RK3399 chip.
Well, it does have a nice double PCIe 3.0 lane, but it cannot take advantage of it due to its limited efficient cores. So Rock 3A is a nice full feature little toy, can really be helpful for various projects and as proof of concept tool, but it must be restricted to light tasks! And don’t try to stress its CPU, there are no cooling solutions for such purpose or it will quiclkly throttle!

So Rock 3 is a nice cost-effective solution for light tasks, Rock 4 is now deprecated but still useful and affordable for most projects and Rock 5 family is far more powerful for hungry tasks including AI… hierarchy is really 3 < 4 < 5

This last image booted on my sample, on a SD card, not from the eMMc module. However, after a restart, even the SD version hangs at boot on ‘Rockchip kernel’ logo. I decided to forget about this version