RockRouter-S (idea to play)

Hi.

Just want to share one idea that I am playing with for many years, doing/testing bits and pieces, of what I believe NEED TO BE a platform…

The subject is ROUTING.

Well, 3 days ago I just “found” the PERFECT hardware module to use, this time not for testing, instead, RockPI-S collection of features allows me to put into concrete practice this idea to have a ROUTING PLATFORM, made of many devices, instead of just using a monolithic home/office router devices (the one that we have today)…

Of course, we will continue to use monolithic home/office routers, but in the era of multiple PCs, Smartdevices, SBCs, PER PERSON, having many more routing devices makes a lot of sense, and, I believe, help to to extract the full utility and power of all the devices that we have…

More important, by using ONLY monolithic routers, WE FACE LIMITATIONS IN MANY WAYS…
These limitations are bad because it include limitations on our ability to “see” the possibilities, and of course, to seek them…

I believe we need to have a Routing Platform which is fully open, fully programmable (API) and fully controllable by the user… the current devices that exists are creating BARRIERS for the users to fully use and live the age of “net of everything”…

I think that an era of “net of everything” can only exist when we achieve a True Routing Control, so that we can control what routes data will take, how, when, etc…
The word “net” means “routes connected”, and when we are not in control of the net, then we are NOT users…

RPS
I am already convinced that RPS (RockPI-S) is something special because its combination of features, and yet, I was surprised to see how easy and powerful is the use of OTG-ETHER as Link Between RPS(s) when (and if) we thing RPS(s) as MODULES…

On RPS everything is SIMPLE!
This simplicity helps us to focus on doing things, creating something new…
We waste very little time setting things up…

Regards,
Valter

PS. I have NOT, connected 4 units as depicted on the picture 1, I think it can be done…

2 Likes

Ok, so clearly you’ve put a lot of time and effort into this, BUT, there is a problem with your writeup:

You haven’t actually demonstrated any utility in this configuration.

For example, you said "WE FACE LIMITATIONS IN MANY WAYS…"
Well… can you give a few examples of these limitations that you have in mind and how this daisy chaining of SBC’s can address them?

You also said "I believe we need to have a Routing Platform which is fully open, fully programmable (API) and fully controllable by the user… the current devices that exists are creating BARRIERS for the users to fully use and live the age of “net of everything”…"

Again, this isn’t at all clear, and you haven’t demonstrated how your daisy chained SBC’s will advance over, for example, RouterX running OpenWRT. Can you provide an example of something you can do with your string of SBC’s that can’t be done with a decent piece of hardware running OpenWRT?

You also said (in one of the pictures): "A module is a reduction of the complexity of a system into more manageable levels..." – But rather than reducing complexity, your approach appears (at first glance) to actually INCREASE complexity for no apparent reason, since now it is not only necessary to configure the software on the router, but it is also necessary to figure out how to connect these boards together, and how the data will flow between them.