RockPi4 shutdown itself while benchmarking

I used a PD charger, two different ones, and multiple high quality 100W cables. It’s suspected to be something related to DDR4; I need to build U-Boot from mainline and test that; a bunch of patches hit for RK3399 but I haven’t had a chance yet.

Is your issue common among all Rock Pi 4 units?

Not really… For already 2 years of using this board - i never met this kind of problem

If you’re using the vendor U-Boot and kernel it won’t happen; the problem is in mainline.

A common theme that I see among single board computers including raspberry pi is that mainline kernel and mainline u-boot don’t work well…

Why?

Because nobody bothers to send any code upstream is the typical reason, though Rockchip is one of the few (the only?) that actually does (but not everything; their DDR4 init code is a binary blob). Allwinner is a constant GPL violator and all that support is reverse engineered because they don’t care, Raspberry Pi Foundation doesn’t upstream well either (on purpose?)… It’s all a huge mess, honestly.

Rockchip RK3399 LPDDR4 init code is in the mainline u-boot already.

Yeah, it was just added recently but I haven’t gotten around to testing it yet; hopefully it resolves the issues!

That’s why Rock Pi 4 shut down?

That’s the best theory so far as to why DDR4 RK3399 devices have been suffering random shutdowns, as ones that used DDR3 were solid even with mainline software. I suppose with the new patches in mainline we’ll be able to determine if that is indeed the issue or if it’s still something else somewhere else…

Is the shutdown issue fixed?

Sorry, have been very busy and not had a chance to test yet… D: