RockPi X initial testing Lubuntu 20.04

After receiving one sample of RockPi X I started to do preliminary testing before moving to Volumio.

For powering the board I’m using a Qualcomm QuickCharge 4+ power adaptor from NXP…

The board I received was pre-flashed with Windows10. I spent little time testing it, just t verify WiFi and Audio was working fine and for updating the BIOS to the latest version released in August.

On first boot with Lubuntu live from USB stick I could not have internal WiFi recognized, I decided to fix it later and I moved forward with a USB WiFi dongle.

Installation process went smoothly, I manually created a new partition table on the EMMC to store the operating system.

On first boot audio was already working fine, both from HDMI ad from headphone jack. To fix WiFi issue I had to download this file and copy it into /lib/firmware/brcm/

I’m playing a youtube video on my living room TV right now, it goes smooth at 1080P

During the coming days I will try some more additional items, including bluetooth, I2C, SPI and I2S.

So far so good, well done!

1 Like

I did some more test, here the outcome

• bluetooth works, I didn’t do any additional step to have it up and running. audio streaming has a lot of audio holes, performance is far from being usable. any idea for fixing it?
  • I2C on pin header (pins 3-5) works fine, using /dev/i2c-2
  • I2S on pin header in not activated, so the pins are not switching during playback. the embedded DAC uses another I2S bus, not routed on external GPIOs. any idea on how to enable the bus on GPIO header?
  • Back-powering the board applying 5V/3A on 40-pin header works fine. Pinout is very similar to Raspberry Pi, I could use my TAS5825M HAT to power the RockPiX and test I2C

As soon as I2S will be working on 40-pin header, I can easily adapt this at and enable the stereo amplifier to play some music, then making a dedicated one for RockPi X will be quick and easy.

1 Like

I did some test with Debian Buster, it works well but i2c is not available. Switching back to Lubuntu made i2c popping up again

I tried aplay -l and got:
**** List of PLAYBACK Hardware Devices ****
card 0: chtnau8824 [chtnau8824], device 0: 3 []
Subdevices: 1/1
Subdevice #0: subdevice #0
card 0: chtnau8824 [chtnau8824], device 1: Deep-Buffer Audio (*) []
card 1: Audio [Intel HDMI/DP LPE Audio], device 0: HdmiLpeAudio [Intel HDMI/DP LPE Audi]
card 1: Audio [Intel HDMI/DP LPE Audio], device 1: HdmiLpeAudio [Intel HDMI/DP LPE Audi]
card 1: Audio [Intel HDMI/DP LPE Audio], device 2: HdmiLpeAudio [Intel HDMI/DP LPE Audi]

The schematic says the lpe device1 is the gpio pins.

nice one! i’ll give it a try

I had already downloaded the schematic. I’m also testing. I’m stuck on ssh to the X. ssh out works.