RockPi 4C Penta SATA HAT Trouble

I received this today and attempted to load Debian 9 for dual monitor and original Debian 9, Ubuntu Server 20.04 and 18.04, as well as Armbian (most current). All failed to output any display via the micro HDMI. The one software load that did work for video halted the startup process every time I attempted it. I am new to Linux, but have built computers before.

Installing via Mac OS: Format type MS-DOS (FAT) with GUID Partition

Booting from eMMC 64 GB drive

I was unable to get Etcher working on my Ubuntu laptop, was an attempt to try a different OS built boot drive. I plan to attempt with Windows tomorrow…

Thank you for any support in advance!

Update: The Ubuntu Server 18.04, which is not listed for the RockPi 4C is the only one that outputted video.

I’ve got the same setup almost. Works ok with macOS. Are you sure the power supply is providing enough power?

I’ve also had issues with screen output but with a 4K monitor. My 4K monitor doesn’t detect anything on the display port but if I use other monitors.

So, try a different monitor, maybe display port if supported.
You’ll need at least a 9v 2amp PSU.

How do you power the Penta SATA HAT and the ROCK Pi board?

I changed the power supply out and was finally able to get Debian loaded. I installed the Penta SATA HAT software per the guide, and on reboot I get the following:

Debian GNU/Linux 9 linaro-alip tty1
linaro-alip login:

When logging in with the default password and user I get the following:

Last login: Thu Mar 25 23:42:23 UTC 2021 on tty1
Bus error

The programs included with the Debian GNU/Linux system are free software;
the exact distribution terms for each program are described in the individual files in /usr/share/doc/*/copyright.

Debian GNU/Linux comes with ABSOLUTELY NO WARRANTY, to the extent permitted by applicable law.

And then goes back to the login request. This occurs if using the Penta SATA HAT power supply. With the USB-C power supply, everything works. Thoughts? I would prefer to use the provided power supply.

Before you connect the hat I’d try a full OS upgrade and a kernel upgrade.

Set your OS in the Distro

Https://wiki.radxa.com/Rockpi4/radxa-apt

Where it says install the latest u-boot be careful to replace rockpi4b to rockpi4c if appropriate.

Then try it again.