Rockchip Debian SDK For Rock 3A has problems

I recently built a new kernel for the Rock 3A along https://wiki.radxa.com/Rock3/dev/Debian. Then, I ran into some problems.

1, “./build/pack-kernel.sh -d rockchip_linux_defconfig -r 1” does not reflect changed kernel settings. I removed ‘make distclean’ in this shell script. It seems to work.

2, I built a kernel deb package after adding a kernel WiFi driver. When I applied this package to ‘rock-3-v20211115’, a Kernel Panic occurred and reboot after 10 second though the image could boot up. I ca use this package though I don’t like the Kernel Panic.

3, I made a system image using the same setting by “./build/mk-image.sh -c rk3568 -t system -r rootfs/linaro-rootfs.img”. However, the new built system.img could not boot due to Kernel Panic.

Any advice would be greatly appreciated.

1 Like

pack-kernel.sh would create .config based on rockchip_linux_defconfig.
When you save your changes to rockchip_linux_defconfig, I think that would work.

This is a known issue and it is fixed. You need to upgrade the u-boot.

This is a known issue and it is fixed. Please update the rockchip-bsp repository.
The latest commit is https://github.com/radxa/rockchip-bsp/commit/aaaedc3e9b64c13c341b7cfdd688169614970f6c.

1 Like

Thanks.
I succeeded in building a new image and booting it. However, there is no /lib/modules directory. For now I don’t know what mistakes I’ve made. I will look into the cause after tomorrow.

You need to install the kernel package manually for the kernel modules.

Thanks, Jack.
I applied the kernel package to the image. Then an additional wifi driver worked well. However, when I added Radxa APT, like

$ sudo apt-get install -y rockchip-overlay
$ sudo apt-get install -y linux-4.19-rock-3-latest
the Rock 3A has stopped booting up.

Now I’m using the latest official image and I have applied Radxa APT, here the kernel version is ‘4.19.193-17-rockchip-ga4e78ea509f7’. Finally I installed the new kernel package I made. This is working very well and stable.