Rock5B with Ubuntu Desktop

I refer to Khadas Edge 2

Yeah I think Khadas seem to have a better experience with 22.04 without actually testing one as could well be the same.
Compared to my early adopter with the Rock4 we are already massively ahead, for you guys waiting it will be slow, but pretty sure things will move relatively fast.
Some of the more god like devs in the debug thread and discord look like 22.04 think its wayland is sort of getting stable with rkdec hardware decode looking very close.

PS on debian to get docker working also needs just a few little updates.

ETA prime is a great reviewer and loves his retro emulators but doesnā€™t touch the dev side.
I would say get on discord but at times with so much by so many you can get a bit disheartened with a few bum steers as some seem to just enjoy producing images.

Pre-order is just being cleared and they will keep chipping away bit by bit and presume an ubuntu with a ā€˜richerā€™ desktop will likely be next.

If you want to check out the mali and its opencl perf I have been playing with armnn which is great as with a single parameter you can switch from running from cpu to gpu.
I wish the arm example was a little more heavy than something pi based as the wav2letter model is pretty poor but is good as an example.

The NPU is also working very powerful but also lite on wattage and wouldnā€™t be surprised if down the dev path it could be used for super scaling.
The board and rk3588/s is really interesting but yep its very fresh.

1 Like

Soonā€¦ you mean like October 2022?

Following this post will get a desktop with GPU drivers that are arguably already better than what the ā€œcompetitionā€ install:

I made the mistake of upgrading Ubuntu to 22.04.1 ā€œJammy Jellyfishā€ and unfortunately Radxa libraries donā€™t seem to be availableā€¦
glmark2 Score: 64

You can still use Panfork libs: https://launchpad.net/~liujianfeng1994/+archive/ubuntu/panfork-mesa/
Jammy is a perfect place for this, as well as media libs: https://launchpad.net/~liujianfeng1994/+archive/ubuntu/rockchip-multimedia/

2 Likes

OKā€¦ glmark2 score is now 726! Thanks!

I will assume no gpu accelleration? Is it all software rendered via llvm?

One of the mekatronics Rk3588 offerings is able to get 3600 on glmark2 in Ubuntu, which is a stark contrast to what the panfork drivers are able to pull off. Iā€™m wondering how they managed it?

1 Like

Hereā€™s my KDE Plasma and I have Gnome 43 both installed on top of Armbian Kinetic 22.10 minimal. Considering the driver is still WIP itā€™s running nice and fast. Wayland is no go on kde and gnome it works nice but I get some kernel glitches in the log.

Kernel: 5.10.72-rockchip-rk3588 arch: aarch64 bits: 64
Desktop: KDE Plasma v: 5.26.4 Distro: Ubuntu 22.10 (Kinetic Kudu) 

Display: x11 server: X.Org v: 1.21.1.4 with: Xwayland v: 22.1.3 driver:
X: loaded: modesetting gpu: resolution: 2560x1440~60Hz
OpenGL: renderer: Mali-G610 (Panfrost) v: 3.0 Mesa 23.0.0-devel

Me too. Iā€™d like an alternative to panfork/frost that will allow highe perf and enable wayland on kde plasma.

1 Like

I found out the cause of unexpected reboots: the 65W power supply i bought on allnetchina is faulty, i noticed that it makes a noise like frying. I bought another branded 65W power supply and I no longer experience system crashes. This is for system stability.
On the other way the UI is very heavy without gpu acceleration, unusable for me.

1 Like

FWIW, with the latest ā€œgofasterā€ Panfork patches (I had to recompile kernel to enable them) I got ~3855 in glmark2-es2-wayland (~1300 without the patches) running on a GDM Ubuntu on Wayland, with a 4k display. I think thatā€™s quite OK.

1 Like

The ā€œARM desktop level SBCā€ need a desktop OS now!
Why did they even bother to release ubuntu server when marketing the SBC as desktop level?
At the moment the 5B serves best as bookend.

Awesome, would really like to try wayland + gnome on this board with full graphics acceleration.
Is there some any guide or information available somwhere to perform installation?

I think we will have to wait long time to see it.
OpenSource is unpredictable - Iā€™m still waiting for OpenWRT on AX3600 from Xiaomi. Making builds and step by step all stuff running is 33% of work. Making it stable for avarage user is the rest.

How were you able to do this? Can you point us in the right direction, so that we can give this a shot as well (link or some other guide)? Iā€™m stuck at around 850 on glmark2. Thanks!

Anytime you update kernel upgrading system by dist-upgrade the boot fail: green and blue lights blinks endlessly, no video input, like a loop.
I donā€™t understand how can be satisfied with such a card, always problems occur. Luckily it is a distro officially supportedā€¦ I donā€™t want to go further.
My biggest regret is not being able to return the card and all the accessories I bought, itā€™s completely unusable, very disappointed.

Iā€™m still unable to understand what sw can be expected and from whom for this board :blush:

It is very confusing for a layman.
Radxa images, armbian, arch, reborn, dietpi etc etc

Cant we just consolidate all efforts to get one system working properly? :blush:

At some point in time there will be one(or more) Linux distribution that is the one ā€officialā€ distribution for Rock 5B and this distribution will make sure board has full functionality and maintained over a foreseeable future? E.g. a sw upgrade will not result in a black screen.

If yes, who will release this distribution? Radxa?

I may represent the average user when I say I donā€™t care much about the name of the distribution, if it is a ā€forkā€, not as good as X or any other reason.

Just need a desktop environment like gnome and that all drivers needed etc are available to make sure board can be used as intended.

2 Likes

I had no problem installing the SPI maskrom, etching and running the official Ubuntu server image on an SSD, then upgrading Ubuntu to 22.04, installing lightdm and gnome, and with the links above installing the Panfork libraries. I now have a fairly stable desktop-level LInux machine - the only glitches I see are occasional transient display anomalies. Iā€™m using a Samsung 30W PD cellphone charger for a power supplyā€¦ and writing this comment on my Rock5.

That would be nice but Radxa doesnā€™t seem to primarily be a software company, so I think we are stuck with third party software if we need a reasonably up to date and feature-complete system.