Rock5B 24GB and 32GB RAM variants release date estimates?

Hi Radxa / @hipboi / @jack ,

I understand the Rock5B with 24GB RAM was delayed due to some engineering specifics with RockChip, and the 32GB RAM variant did not get a delivery date because the (2x) 16GB RAM chips needed to deliver it are not commercially available yet.

Have there been any news since, is the 24GB RAM variant for sale already somewhere, or do you have a delivery date?

What about the 32GB RAM variant, any progress?

Thanks

Bro that is just not gonna happen. Price/Wise probably wouldnt justify the investment or the return in sales thats me being realistic its my opinion…
I think only fifefly does that but on one of their products but whats the point ? U will be paying like a full price of a desktop computer without GPU and just priced for mostly for its ram…

I would hit the hound on the promised egpu support…
Which is dependant on a more wided supported kernel… I guess…

16GBs of Ram is decent enough. Thats my opinion on this matter. Price-Wise is Ok and Rock 5B gives us a wide choice of options.

Have u tried to contact any of the distributors to see how much they could sell you a 32GB of ram model for instance? They might do you a quote.

I did that on firefly before deciding to come to Rock 5B suprisingly enough they made it available. But… I wanted a more tiny board.

Does 32GB ram firefly really available? @DarkevilPT

You are right. My apologies I just did a search on my email and actually they didnt had the 16GB version.

This is how it really went and then they made it available. 16Gbs not 32Gbs (ram).
So yes I guess no company is yet risking this measure.

That explains. Thanks for the update.

1 Like

@DarkevilPT I believe you are NOT correct that there is no market for a 32GB RAM Rock5B. Also I believe your price estimation is not correct too, the price for a 32GB RAM Rock5B would definitely not be as high as for an Intel desktop computer.

@jack How is your progress with the 32GB RAM and 24GB RAM variants of Rock5B?

Firefly sells the 32GB RAM RK3588 SBC “ITX-3588J 8K AI Mini-ITX Mainboard”: ITX-3588J 8K AI Mini-ITX Mainboard_Embedded Board_ALL_Firefly Store.

Like other Firefly products it is overpriced. It also lacks a 22x80mm M.2 slot and it only has gigabit ethernet. The chassi is bulky (link) and they power it with a barrel plug. Peculiar choices.

@DarkevilPT your infos were not correct, here correction. @jack note

The link you post just shows the potential available SKU, it doesn’t mean they can provide it.

@jack, Firefly sales@t-firefly.com say they provide it and it’s in stock already. They wrote:

To me thats not even a single board computer… its more like a mainboard computer…
Not the same… but sure…

This is ridiculously expensive. I have no idea how they can justify this price.

What are people doing with these SBCs? Jesus, I have yet to consume over 10% of my Rock5B’s 16gb

3 Likes

Virtualization, multinode clusters of docker/database/storage/you name it, heavy ram application

2 Likes

It is that i have bought 2x 16 GB versions, but if the 32 GB was available i think i would have bought those instead.

One is the idea to run (currently busy setting it up)

• Gitlab CE
  • Ansible Master + AWX
  • MariaDB
  • Grafana/Logserver
  • Radius server
  • OpenLDAP

The other (majority of the applications are already running, but still experimenting with minikube)

• Minikube and within it
  • Deluge Torrent server
  • Sabnzbd newsgroups
  • cv website
  • Nextcloud + Joplin for notes
  • Other type of websites
  • Wireguard
  • Codeserver (vscode in the browser)
  • Samba (file server)

These ARM boards are small, dont use too much power and can be on 24/7. Which means i don’t have to have any hosting subscription. I myself work in the hosting world and there you see a lot of VM’s with CPU steal. Also old hardware they are using to get as much profit as they can. Yes, the profit they make goes in to the pockets of the shareholders and not in my pocket.

And no, cloud is also not a option. Cloud is a big lie that many people have been sold to including i in the past. So i would really advice almost any household to have these SBC at home and run their own stuff on it. Stop paying companies to do stuff for you, they are ripping you off, although majority of the people are just lazy.

3 Likes

@jack Do you have the release date for the 24GB RAM variant Rock5B now? I don’t see it listed for sale.