Rock5 does not work on most PD power supplies

At this point, do not expect the R5b to work reliably.
It is best not to use a USB-PD power supply but any ~12-20V supply with an to USB-C adaptor.
if you do not need more than the bare board something like a 5V 3-4A power supply might also work out fine but once you use USB-devices and maybe M.2 cards that will quickly become an issue.

Radxa is so far doing a really bad job communicating about these issues but there are still quite a few issues.
Funnily enough I also have a NanoPi R6s and while having less features, it also has a lot less issues due to reduced complexity.

1 Like

So today the OEM supply showed. The damned thing is STILL rebooting every few seconds. what a piece of trash.

If they fix Uboot in the near future i wont take it out back and set on fire, but this is the last roc product i ever buy,

Should have known, after that stunt with the outward facing m.2 on a earlier model, just so they could sell adapters.

Yeah, the zero communication strategy also sucks quite hard.
We cannot even be sure if they even plan a fixā€¦
At this point the issue also feels like it might need a HW fix, especially with the risky SMbus collision issue.
Radxa going dark feels weird.
I might want to contact my Allnet sales contact for a refund.

i thought about a refund too and just giving up. but often times you foot the shipping back, and that is high enough that it often makes it not worth the trouble on small items like this.

While i dont want an S model chip and lose the m.2, i may just order something from khadas. or just wait for pine64 to get theirs out, as they are far more responsive to their commuity ( have a pinebookpro myself ).

1 Like

Iā€™m now just using this power adapter, 12V 60W version: It is the smallest I could find: Built-in over voltage, over current, and short circuit protection. It is also suitable for CCTV camera, etc. It is just feeding the MP8759 Buck converter anyway. Mind that this adapter needs to be earthed. For me this is ok, as Iā€™m going to build the Rock5B into a metal earthed enclosure.

12 Volt Power Supply Lighting Transformer Ac180-250v To Dc 12v 24v Power Source Adapter For Led Strip 60w-400w Led Driver - Lighting Transformers - AliExpress

Together with this cable:

MyPowerPlug

My 12v 3amp and usb-c adapter from ebay is a tad wider but shorter but is wired and no needs for extra wiring apart from a usb-c to 5.5/2.1 mm barrel.

Both would work but is not the 2nd slightly more tidy and convenient?

After SPI Flash update, Iā€™ve tried with my Dell U2419HC USB C monitor. Power is fine but no display, tried both 5b. :cry:

I donā€™t believe it has usb-c display output.

https://wiki.radxa.com/Rock5

Also, ROCK5 supports USB PD power with display alt mode.

Maybe not plumbed in yet?

1 Like

Using a 12V led(or any) driver is probably at the bottom of the list of recommended solutions.

Such is meant for fixed installations.
At least where Iā€™m located it require installation by an electrician.
Even if installed with plug in a socket, most(?) countries do not make a difference in L and N(plug can be connected either way). No proper drag relief for the cords etc

wow that main page is the only reference, good find.

It does. Works on my Philips 27E1N8900.

as a data point, it does not work with my lenovo P27u-10, nor Lenovo P27h-10

What about official Nintendo switch power supply, I got a solid green light

This means it is booted into the spi flash and not finding a bootable device?

I know, just wanted to say I tried it and it works

Hi, everyone in this thread

For the PD/Power Supply issue, please refer the FAQs:

https://wiki.radxa.com/Rock5/FAQs

We have gathered a list of supported and known not working PD power supply. Please refer:

https://wiki.radxa.com/Rock5/5b/power_supply

What about the SMbus/IĀ²C issues?

Also what about those power supplies that do not work with the Rock5b, I still have 3 that will not work with it, but work without any issues with the Nanopi R6s, which is also a RK3588 based system, in fact I have so far not found a single PSU that will not power the Nanopi.
I have also no had this issue with any other device before, yes, when requirements were not met of course, but I have a 65W PSUs that wonā€™t work with the Rock5b, which is kindā€™a dumb.

The short answer to that is that nano pi6 is not as power hunger as rock5b.
Does it can take m2 slots?
Does it can eat from wifi bt module?
Did u test those bricks on all things put on together? m2 nvme + wifi bt module + emmc + micro sd + mouse keyboard and hdmi all connected to a pi6?

Cause on Rock5B you can and theres ways to make it work apparently.

No but it works fine with both of my PSUs that create issues with the Rock5B, and it negotiates 20V and 15V on then.
The Rock5 ist just rebooting, which has nothing to do with power requirements and such.

Yes the SMbus issues are M.2 related, but I am also not sure how they can be resolvedā€¦