Rock5 does not work on most PD power supplies

I know, just wanted to say I tried it and it works

Hi, everyone in this thread

For the PD/Power Supply issue, please refer the FAQs:

https://wiki.radxa.com/Rock5/FAQs

We have gathered a list of supported and known not working PD power supply. Please refer:

https://wiki.radxa.com/Rock5/5b/power_supply

What about the SMbus/I²C issues?

Also what about those power supplies that do not work with the Rock5b, I still have 3 that will not work with it, but work without any issues with the Nanopi R6s, which is also a RK3588 based system, in fact I have so far not found a single PSU that will not power the Nanopi.
I have also no had this issue with any other device before, yes, when requirements were not met of course, but I have a 65W PSUs that won’t work with the Rock5b, which is kind’a dumb.

The short answer to that is that nano pi6 is not as power hunger as rock5b.
Does it can take m2 slots?
Does it can eat from wifi bt module?
Did u test those bricks on all things put on together? m2 nvme + wifi bt module + emmc + micro sd + mouse keyboard and hdmi all connected to a pi6?

Cause on Rock5B you can and theres ways to make it work apparently.

No but it works fine with both of my PSUs that create issues with the Rock5B, and it negotiates 20V and 15V on then.
The Rock5 ist just rebooting, which has nothing to do with power requirements and such.

Yes the SMbus issues are M.2 related, but I am also not sure how they can be resolved…

R6S USB C is not a full functional USB C, only power PD, which is similar as ROCK Pi 4B, it’s hardware negotiation. ROCK 5B is full functional PD with USB 3, Display, fully controlled by RK3588, you can communicate with the power supply under Linux, change the power supply voltage etc. The drawback is the software PD stack under Linux is not matured yet, it takes time to improve the compatibility with all the PD adapters on the market.

3 Likes

But it fails way before any linux ever boots…
The Nanopi R6S does not.

It also feels like a bit of a dumb excuse, like: year this bike cannot be ridden, because it can do more, it also has an engine and lights.

Havent u had a laptop charging on type c where the charger speed cant keep up with the high consumption on usage you are giving to it ?
And those have batteries to help… so I can only imagine we need more horse power on rock5b than others .

If you think this issue affects the usage of your ROCK 5B, please contact the distributor to return and refund. I think the FAQs states clearly, the software work is under progress.

1 Like

@tech_4tress

We have tested the Penta SATA HAT powering the ROCK 5B, it works without issue powering from the 12V DC on the hat. Are you using SD card or eMMC or SSD booting? Did you try the latest images?

1 Like

I think this is explained very clearly in this thread and the faq:

R6S negotiates PD with hardware before the device is booting.

Rock 5B has to load the kernel first to negotiate PD at the moment because of the extra functionalities, and the kernel is not loading fast enough so that lots of PD power supplies timed out the negotiation and just cut the power (and causing a boot loop).

1 Like

Quite strange this basic issue wasn’t spot during prototyping, or debugging, as nearly half of my PD supply fails

Not working:

• Pixel 4A usb-c charger
  • M1 mac usb-c power supply (which is 65W I believe so for me not a lack of power issue)

Working:

• 18W powerbank, but I guess it will fail if power drain exceeds 18W.
  • 100W Baseus power supply (which unfortunately is very inconvenient as it dumbly cuts power each time you plug/unplug another device, meaning it would also reboot the board)
  • 12V usb-c 24W supply (taken from an old windows tablet)

If we cannot use common PD supply, like the one provided from USB-C monitors this makes the full-featured USB-C port much useless.

So hoping this is just software issue and not bad hardware design.

I suppose it would have been wiser to add secondary power USB-C, in addition to the full featured USB-C.

1 Like

Or just a dumb DC port like many of the laptops.

2 Likes

Sry, but that cannot be the only issue, my bootloader is already negotiating some other voltage.
Right in UBoot the Rock5B sits at 12V with one PSU, and just reboots endlessly with the other.
Add a AX220 Intel WiFi card and it will stay at 5V and reboot all the time with any of my PSUs.

Not sure i mentioned it in this thread, but even the OEM one does not work for me. The Radxa team really dropped the ball on this.

Totally agree as adding a secondary PD would not of been very ‘clever’.
To be honest as SBC increase in power and capability a fixed 12v becomes ever more important than a mobile or toy charger.

@DooMMasteR
There are no SMbus/I²C issues on arm as a hardware SMbus essentially doesn’t exist as its a software wrapper around I²C that merely needs to be implemented as some has when we run the sensors cli command.

tcpm_source_psy_4_0022-i2c-4-22
Adapter: rk3x-i2c
in0:           5.00 V  (min =  +5.00 V, max =  +5.00 V)
curr1:         1.50 A  (max =  +1.50 A)

Is the neogiated level not actual and when not negotiated with a dumb psu its stays at uboot initial level .
I guess awk '{print $1/172.5}' </sys/bus/iio/devices/iio:device0/in_voltage6_raw will also get added to sensors as work progresses.
x86 Bios & Arm uBoot are just different to how things are implemented and even if they are, where much is just purely a software wrapper to emulate difference or missing function.

But I2C4 is mapped to the FUSB302BMPX and the M2_NGFF_KEY_E slot, so once a card uses the pins and possibly the same address, how is it going to be handled?
I have the issue that my RockPi5 won’t boot at all with my wifi card added, but another card works fine and the Intel one with masked pins works too. So I guess it is some issue related to the I2C pins.

The Intel WiFi card has the pins connected to GND which is probably what kills the I2C bus.

Reading the previous workaround, I wonder if a usb-c PD trigger board would do the trick?

I’ll test to see if it changes anything as I’ve got some PD boards laying around, (but still requires adapting DC output +/- terminals to usb-c connector).

this would be the DIY/ very hacky method though
At the end, I’m glad I didn’t order more than one board and only the 8GB version…

Yeah its just that chicken & egg of early revision and likely it will take time to evaluate effect, what cards and if software or hardware revision is needed.

I guess currently the answer is don’t use a intel card and use one from the shop or one like the ones in the shop or others the community says works.

I guess there is a reason why the Nanopi has a dedicated STM32G030F6P6 that basically does nothing aside from setting up power.

1 Like