Rock5 does not work on most PD power supplies

I am exactly on the same boat as u, my rock 5b is 1.422022.08.29tried multiple power bricks and multiple os, everything just shows a cursor on the corner and then boom restarts
Led color changes from green to blue and then resets
Only display I got till date is on armbian and it says kernel panic, check the pics

Even tried the 60v power supply with the sata adapter and same results,
Any luck for u?

From my side, i gave up trying as i got frustrated. It should not be this hard… An OEM supply is in transit ( it did arrive in my country on the 17th… but no updates since. )

Once usb-pd negotiation happens in uboot, I think most of these issues will go away.

ya, but people are frustrated in the mean time, and hurts goodwill towards them. i was going to wait for the fix, but since we dont have ANY clue when, I figured id buy their PS. If they had mentioned it to begin with, i bet most of us would have bought one upfront. its not like its expensive.

You would think this would be high on their priority list. Apparently, no.

Can we have an update from Radxa team on this?

This is a very fundamental problem!

3 Likes

I am digging into pin definition of PCIe3x4 m2 interace. Trying to tape some pin like 10(DAS/DSS#Device Activity Signal / Disable Staggered Spinup), pin 38(DEVSLP#Device Sleep, input. If driven high the host is informing the SSD to enter a low power state) to solve the problem of my NVME booting up, but no lucky yet.
1 of ten of replugging in PD power usbc, I can get into my armbian os login screen.
Any clue appreciated.

I think the team has already been aware of PD problem, and working on it.
PD problem

Im gonna try this one once it arrives:
£6.33 20V 3.25A
https://a.aliexpress.com/_msvdRLK

You are trying to nvme boot the armbian image? It never worked with nvme booting afaik. You have to boot from emmc/sdcard, and you can edit fstab to mount the nvme drive as a root partition, but you cannot directly boot from nvme yet.

last try, taping pin 54 (PEWAKE#PCIe WAKE# Open Drain with pull up on platform. Active Low.) seems to save my ass.
A few round of rebooting, it looks like promising to get the armbian login prompt , which is running on WD 570 2T Nvme SSD, booting from SPI.

yes, exactly did what you said before nand-sata-install rootfs to nvme and uboot to spi flash, finally you can boot directly from nvme, with taking off emmc.

i dont unfamiliar with hardware, esp, do not as power supply.
will soon recieve ROCK5B ver 1.42.
how to work reliably booting OS, pls upload URL(‘https://wiki.radxa.com/Rock5/5b’).

At this point, do not expect the R5b to work reliably.
It is best not to use a USB-PD power supply but any ~12-20V supply with an to USB-C adaptor.
if you do not need more than the bare board something like a 5V 3-4A power supply might also work out fine but once you use USB-devices and maybe M.2 cards that will quickly become an issue.

Radxa is so far doing a really bad job communicating about these issues but there are still quite a few issues.
Funnily enough I also have a NanoPi R6s and while having less features, it also has a lot less issues due to reduced complexity.

1 Like

So today the OEM supply showed. The damned thing is STILL rebooting every few seconds. what a piece of trash.

If they fix Uboot in the near future i wont take it out back and set on fire, but this is the last roc product i ever buy,

Should have known, after that stunt with the outward facing m.2 on a earlier model, just so they could sell adapters.

Yeah, the zero communication strategy also sucks quite hard.
We cannot even be sure if they even plan a fix…
At this point the issue also feels like it might need a HW fix, especially with the risky SMbus collision issue.
Radxa going dark feels weird.
I might want to contact my Allnet sales contact for a refund.

i thought about a refund too and just giving up. but often times you foot the shipping back, and that is high enough that it often makes it not worth the trouble on small items like this.

While i dont want an S model chip and lose the m.2, i may just order something from khadas. or just wait for pine64 to get theirs out, as they are far more responsive to their commuity ( have a pinebookpro myself ).

1 Like

I’m now just using this power adapter, 12V 60W version: It is the smallest I could find: Built-in over voltage, over current, and short circuit protection. It is also suitable for CCTV camera, etc. It is just feeding the MP8759 Buck converter anyway. Mind that this adapter needs to be earthed. For me this is ok, as I’m going to build the Rock5B into a metal earthed enclosure.

12 Volt Power Supply Lighting Transformer Ac180-250v To Dc 12v 24v Power Source Adapter For Led Strip 60w-400w Led Driver - Lighting Transformers - AliExpress

Together with this cable:

MyPowerPlug

My 12v 3amp and usb-c adapter from ebay is a tad wider but shorter but is wired and no needs for extra wiring apart from a usb-c to 5.5/2.1 mm barrel.

Both would work but is not the 2nd slightly more tidy and convenient?

After SPI Flash update, I’ve tried with my Dell U2419HC USB C monitor. Power is fine but no display, tried both 5b. :cry:

I don’t believe it has usb-c display output.

https://wiki.radxa.com/Rock5

Also, ROCK5 supports USB PD power with display alt mode.

Maybe not plumbed in yet?

1 Like