Rock5 A - Won't boot into OS

I bought two Rock5 A’s. I also bought two RADXA Power PD 30W just to make sure everything ran smoothly. I installed the OS from https://docs.radxa.com/en/rock5/official-images. ROCK 5A: Build 16 link (rock-5a_debian_bullseye_kde_b16.img.xz)

One of them works perfectly, the other boots up and just hangs (see screenshot 1, right monitor). I tried taking the SD Card from the working Rock5A and put it into the Not Working Rock5A and same thing, it boots, shows the Debian 11 logo at the bottom of the screen, then shows the boot process and then hangs (see screenshot 2).

I then tried 2 new SD Cards ( PNY 64GB Elite-X Class 10 U3 V30 microSDXC Flash Memory Card) and still the same problem. Then I tried ubuntu version found here: https://github.com/Joshua-Riek/ubuntu-rockchip/releases/tag/v1.18. I picked the Rock 5A 22.04.2 LTS (Jammy Jellyfish) that didn’t work.

I then went onto Radxa Discord and one of the users “Mario” suggested it could be the SD Slot was shot but if that’s true how am I still able to see the load process but it just hangs after that? One would think if it’s the SD Card slot went bad it wouldn’t read it at all or not even boot with the SD Card. What could I be doing wrong or is the SD Card slot really shot??

ScreenShot 1:

ScreenShot 2:

Have you tried on emmc ? (Just in case).
And then if on the first it boots swapping emmcs?

MicroSD idk what to say. Maybe its bricked :frowning:

For what is needed it must run from the Micro SD Card.

If you have another Linux machine to read the microSD card you can edit /boot/extlinux/extlinux.conf, and change quiet splash loglevel=4 to loglevel=8 to enable more boot log. Right now it doesn’t say what was wrong.

I have two (2x) Rock5A’s, the SD Card in the working Rock5A isn’t working in the Rock5A. I’ve tried 3 other Rock linux OS and none of them work. I even took those other 3 Rock Linux OSs and tried them in the working Rock5A and they all work which means its the SD Card Reader on the Rock5A that is bad.

Can you try it the way yuntian said, open the higher log level and use it on ng’s board, and then get the ng log here.

@RadxaYuntian For this test, what flavor of linux for the Rock5A should I use to do this test. Once I change the conf file where would I go then to see the log, get the log in order to share it here? I’m still new to Linux.

Since you can boot the microSD system on some 5A but not others, the best way is to change the file on this microSD from a good 5A, then try booting it from a bad 5A. You can still send the final screen in picture, as that usually tells us what got it stuck.

1 Like

@RadxaYuntian Ok I did as you asked. The GOOD Rock5A showcases good_Rock5a.jpg had updated. Transfered that Micro SD Card from the GOOD one to the BAD one. Booted update the BAD one and got bad_Rock5a.jpg. Tried to type in the prompt and nothing would happen. I’m using a wired mouse and keyboard. Tried other USB Ports and nothing. Tried another set of wired mouse/keyboard, all usb slots and same outcome, still doesn’t work. The curser blinks but I can’t type. What do I do now?

GOOD:

BAD

Currently there is some compatibility issue with UHS card when using with ROCK 5A. We are still investigating this.

We might release a new image with UHS mode disabled as a workaround soon.

Ok but one Rock5A is working just fine with that MicroSD Card, it should be the same with the other but it isn’t. Can I please have a replacement or a refund?

You can contact the original seller for RMA process.