Rock4SE, Debian11, OpenSSH can't ssh in

Rock4SE, Debian11 new install - still setting things up.
I can ssh out, but not it. I get “connection refused”. I have configured ssh_config, but when I tried to restart sshd.service, I get “service not found” or “service does not exist”. Systemctl status shows it as “inactive”, yet I cannot enable or start it. If it’s inactive, how can I ssh out?

Interestingly, I have tried to remove and re-install (sudo apt) OpenSSH, but get E: package not found. How can the package not be available, yet is installed as part of the OS?

I’m not very smart, so some help would be appreciated.

On recent build ssh server is present but not enabled by default, that’s because of some kind of security and hardcoded user/password for first start. This change was discussed here and I raised that it will make some troubles for many users, like you here.
SSH meta package has at least two things - ssh-server and ssh-client, You have probably both, but first is disabled, just do:

sudo systemctl enable --now ssh

please note that ssh service is about open-ssh-server - not client, that one is just a command.

That worked. Thanks very much!

1 Like

On latest images radxa decided to modify first-boot script, detect and enable ssh-server if device is headless, that will allow users to connect via ssh and set up needed things without need for keyboard monitor or uart. You will have no such problems connecting to board :slight_smile:

1 Like

In my case, the monitor is a raspberrypi 7inch touchscreen. Couldn’t enable it without first attaching a hdmi monitor and keyboard. The new image will make that much simpler. Thanks for the attention.

1 Like