[Rock Pi X] More details and photos, please (:

Rock Pi X is just like a dream for us as linux enthusiast, that’s why is hard to be patient, but is better to wait in order to have a superb product. Personally
I’m using an Asus tinker board as a main desktop for doing my work (I am a linux sysadmin), i will change immediately to Rock Pi X once available. Congratulations for your efforts and go ahead! :grinning:

I’m realy impatient about the Rock Pi X, i realy want to test it. I’m realy curious about one particular thing, it’s about the GPIO. I hope it will be possible to use some RS232 with the X86 UART. I have some bad results with some Arm mini UART which can’t offer the exact same level of expertise.

I think that maybe a X86 architecture can be interesting for many other reasons, First, I have so many softwares that I’ve developped to test on it, for linux and for windows

Something similar might be closer than you think. Check NPS-1.

I recently purchased an atomic pi to use as I wait for the Rock Pi X. It’s the same processor and overall very similar. For my application (robot) I’m hoping the Rock Pi X will be a fairly simple drop-in replacement as the atomic pi isn’t a production unit.

Thanks for the reply, Jack. Looking forward to test my videogame there when possible, and also the performance of some emulators too (Lakka/Retroarch).

This ROScube Pico NPS-1 looks interesting, stki12. Thanks for sharing.

Let’s hope they announce soon if its price is similar to Raspberry Pi and Rock Pi X, and which specific Intel Atom uses to guess if it’s going to be more or less powerful than the other boards…

1 Like

One step forward…

1 Like

Will it work with the SATA.hats? :slightly_smiling_face:

Will it work with the SATA.hats? :slightly_smiling_face:

Yes, quad sata hat would work… But do you want that?

Sure! It opens the possibility of setting up a TrueNAS Core server, which is x86 only.

Very cool to hear this is nearly across the finish line! I’ve been watching this project for a while now. I have big plans to replace a very large and power hungry storage server with a simple SMB3.0 file share and a USB3.0 drive. And while I’m sure it’s not officially supported, my goal will be to run Server 2019 core, rather than Win10 (though Win10 will be a perfectly fine fallback). I’ll be very curious to see USB/Ethernet throughput performance numbers.

Considering that the processor is on the bottom (like the Rock Pi 4) will this be compatible with the heat-sink cases for the Rock Pi 4?

1 Like

No. the CPU position is slightly different. If you have CNC machine, you can modify the ROCK Pi 4 heatsink to X.

Will there be an official heatsink for Rock Pi X and what kind of heatsinks can be used with it?

1 Like

What are the necessary modifications?

Will the Rock Pi X ship with some sort of heatsink (it would be pertinent to mention if it doesn’t)? I’m getting a sample, and it seems I’m going to need to get and/or modify a heatsink as well…

Yes, there will be official heatsink, just another variant of the ROCK Pi 4 heatsink.

I think the answer would probably no, because some of the case metal case from Allnet has heatsink at the bottom already, so the heatsink is optional. The cherrytrail is just 6W CPU, the heat is less than ROCK Pi 4 from our testing.

I don’t think I fully understand what you mean, can you elaborate?

Well that certainly is comforting.

P.s. will you guys be publishing the results of those (and any other) tests?

Will have M2 or pcie slot or nvme ssd hat for nvme ssd drives? If yes x2 lane or x4 lane and support which gen?

Atom x5-Z8350 has only 1 PCI Express 2.0 lane according to ark.intel.com.

1 Like