Rock pi 5, doesnt boot on normal chargers, used barrel to usb c, burnt the board

hey community, from the past 2 weeks, was trying to boot the rock pi 5 with multiple options, nvme sdcards, multiple power adapters, finally got my barrel to usb c adapter,and tried it with 60w rock adapter that came with penta hat, and a spark appeared over this component, and i am pretty sure this component is gone, can anyone help me with identifying this component so i can replace it? thanks

Where do you see missing component?

I do use barrel jack with two rock 5b boards and 12V 3A PSU. No issues.

I using a usbC-barel to, 12v 6a (from a old led strip) for almost two weeks and everything Fine. First i was using 5v 3A but i got random reboot with Nvme

Maybe asking RMA ? considering all the PD issues, would be fair from them to replace or exchange it…
Otherwise we can try making a photo of the component, if you think you have soldering skills to replace it.

I prefer to use 5v due to the fact that the board has a 5v and 3v rail. Unfortunately 5V/3A is too little to run the board with peripherals. I use a 5V/6A and it works fine. However, a NVME drive can take as much power to run as an old HDD drive so that’s still a lot of power. Right now I’m looking at other options like powering an SSD externaly.

I don’t see any burnt component on the board. I only see one unpopulated mount point. So where did you take an idea that barrel jack and 12V make the board dead?

I think there is a problem with your barrel to usb c adapter (Aliexpress?)
Do you have a photo of it?

Looks like the chip burned near the pin 12/13, VCONN_5V0

FUSB302B Programmable USB Type‐C Controller w/PD

VCONN_5V0 which is connected to the 5V rail of the board (VCC_5V0)
Untitled

I think there was a problem with the main voltage regulator.

From what I’ve noticed, the burnt piece on their board should be the one I’ve indicated in the photos.

The chip in question reads: UAAK C3H

1 Like

That’s the TypeC / PD controller chip.

Probably a badly made barrel jack adapter that routes power to the CC pins (a misunderstanding of how VCONN is supposed to work?)

Rma is not an option, to ship it back and the cost of reverse shipping to china is 75 percent the price of the device alone, will try to source the component and replace it

Took a flir shot just for u :),
Board is not fully dead but that component is taking in a lot of current and heating the board up, and most importantly it’s not still posting.

But even with the burnt ic, it keeps rebooting mate , i guess I made a mistake paying for the preorder, and buying it a tad bit early, rock 3a is rocking as a Nas solution just fine, and i am happy with that, i pulled the trigger a little faster for this board

Prob the barrel connector as only vbus 2 pins should be connected not V+/V- as sometimes they are marked as that really is D+/D-
You haven’t posted a pic of the barrel connector but if polarity right its exactly the same as PD just doesn’t have the negotiation comms.

If it makes you feel any better using a mini-pcie to m.2 converter on the pcie 2.0 m.2 with a Coral Edge board didn’t go to well for me either.