ROCK Pi 4 : dual screen on android system

Hi,

I have a use case in which I have to connect 4K display using HDMI interface and additional display (4-7") with touch screen using MIPI DSI. MIPI screen will act as regular “tablet-like” display, with launcher and UI, and the 4K display will be used to show dedicated data on it.

Is this configuration possible with rock pi4? If yes, which image on which rock pi 4 version? Do we have SDK available for this version (I’d prefer to use my own display instead of raspberry pi stock one)?

Best regards,
Pawel

Check ROCK Pi 4C with Android 10. We have a demo here:

2 Likes

So, this will work only on rock pi 4 model C and it’s not possible to run dual display on model a/b?

Model C has very limitted supply and is either not available at all or out of stock. I’m also in a hurry and cant spare couple of weeks to wait for untested hardware. Is this android image production ready? Does it work with HDMI + DSI or HDMI + DP only?

I’ll be fine with older androids also.

https://rock.sh/rockpi-android7-dsi-download
This image support Raspberry Pi official 7" Display

dual screen api:
https://developer.android.com/reference/android/app/Presentation

Hi,

Thanks. My app is already using Presentation API. Does HDMI (in 4k mode) work on this image together with Raspberry Pi official 7" Display? Raspberry Pi’s one will work as main display and HDMI one will be used with Presentation API.

Yes, Raspberry Pi official 7" Display is the main display. HDMI is an extended display.

Where can I find sources for Android 7.1.2? I’d like to use custom DSI display (with hdmi 4k), so I have to modify DSI panel’s driver and probably .dts?

Hello guys! sorry to refloat the topic, but I am also looking to install Android ( any version, I would like to use v.7.1 but any other newer will fit ) on my rockpi 4 model C 4GB to use the dual output as a Extended monitors both in fullhd resolution, one of them will be touch screen. I have tried the image that Lili uploaded in this post, but on mine, the MiniDP does not work, only HDMI output works… Would you guys suggest any other image with this requirement availables?

UPDATE:

I am using the last official image from the web site. Android 10 works with both of monitors but only duplicate them. Do you guys know how can I extend them?

in this post there a youtube video working fine and nice!

thanks so much!

MiniDP requires an “active” miniDP to HDMI adapter and watch out for miniDP output max resolution at 2560 x 1440 @ 60 Hz
This one worked for me on RockPi4C:
https://www.amazon.ca/Cable-Matters-DisplayPort-Supporting-Technology/dp/B00PJ3LSIG/ref=sr_1_5?dchild=1&keywords=mini+displayport+active+to+hdmi+adapter&qid=1609162873&sr=8-5

thanks! As I have updated, my rockPi4C is working already, I´ve got a 3DClub adapter working perfectly, but my problem now, is basically the monitors work in duplicated and I would need them working in extended desktop, I suppost to need an app to change them duplicated to extended?

@Lili
@jack
Hi everyone,

I saw the video of the two screens so I bought the device (Rock Pi C4) but when I download the Android 10 OS and I connect two screens I only see one screen.
Do i need to do anything special to be able to use dual sceen in extend mode like you dimonstraeted on your video @jack ?

I wish someone can advise how to use Rock Pi 4 C dual screen Android 10 like posted video in the top. Showing extended second screen. Mini DP is not working.

Thanks

@jack plz explain how we can reach same result of working with dual screen in extend mode on android 10.

Thanks.

First, make sure your DP is working. Not all monitor supports 2 lanes DP input. If your DP or HDMI can work separately. Then you can try dual display, which should just works with Android 10.

@jack
SOLVED:
Go to: Developer options -> force desktop mode. turn it on.
And then restart the device (in the laucher there is application with icon on turn on/off ).
Only after that i got 2 screens in extend mode.

2 Likes

Hello, I tried your image, and indeed my screen on the MIPI DSI port works. However, I can’t get the port to work on an armbian image, dietpi, etc…
Do you have the miracle solution?

Thank you

Please someone share exact information to use dual screen since mini DP to HDMI is not working.

Hi guys, have any of you tested the rock pi 4 with dual touch screen ?

Does it register the touch of each individual screen ?

@Dmitry_Kroytor are you able to rotate the orientation of the screens ?

Hi everyone,

I am wondering with Screen mirroring setup with different screens resolution: one screen HDMI and another one DP.
One screen 1920x1080 (or 1024×600 ) and another one 1440x1440 - how can I configure the system to have the best image quality on both screens: it is more preferable to have black areas on top and bottom and have sharp picture rather than full screen picture, but stretched and blurry