Rock 5B hung after issueing upgrade command in Debian 11

A clean flashed eMMC module, after boot, did

sudo apt-get update
sudo apt-get upgrade
sudo reboot now

Rock 5B would reboot, display flash screen, then nothing but a flashing cursor. - Hung

Re-flashed eMMC module, after boot, did

sudo apt-get update
sudo reboot now

Rock 5B would reboot, display flash screen, then show login screen. - Normal operation

I tried multiple times, always the same behavior.

1 Like

ā€œapt-get upgradeā€ is deprecated, and will never work properly on modern distros. Use ā€œapt upgradeā€ instead.

1 Like

Oh my gosh after reading your post I just figured out why every time I have a clean install I get this issue it did it on eMMC, sd, NVME and over USB.

Interesting, in " Introduction to ROCK 5 Debian", they still showed using ā€˜apt-getā€™ command. Anyhow, it didnā€™t matter, I used ā€˜apt upgradeā€™, Rock5B still hung.

Same problem here. Any else with a suggestion?

@Googulator, They literally do the same thing in terms of packages. Apt is just extension of apt-get, not a ā€œwhole new logic for updating packagesā€

As for problem regarding update - i donā€™t see solutions yet:

So my advice, if you need grahics - use Armbian with Mesa-panfrost

Hi, the Debian image (Bullseye xfce) works fine once I reverted to the FCS one from the web site.

ā€œapt upgradeā€ is more similar to ā€œapt-get dist-upgradeā€ than to ā€œapt-get upgradeā€

I had the same problem flashing cursor and no GUI after apt upgrade
I solved it by adding radxa public key to repository:

wget -O - apt.radxa.com/bullseye-stable/public.key | sudo apt-key add -

In fact, as soon as I ran an apt update command (before upgrade), I noticed errors relating to the public key for the radxa repository.
Once I had downloaded and added the key, by running an update, I no longer received any errors or warnings, and then running apt upgrade everything went well.
When I restarted I had no more problems.

1 Like