Rock 5 - Case + Cooling

SD card and eMMC worked all the time.

The plan was to ship with a bootloader inside the SPI flash prepopulated at the factory to allow booting from NVMe as well. And few weeks ago this has been added to u-boot (the bootloader): https://github.com/radxa/u-boot/commits/stable-5.10-rock5

So in theory it should work and since they added NVMe over here a NVMe SSD should be all that is needed.

3 Likes

I ordered from AmeriDroid I didnt saw any fan to add to my order on the list below do you have the link for it? I might need it.

A cool metal case you be kickass. :muscle:

This is perfect if it can boot from an SD Card then happy days.

I did not click the link (“people also bought these…”) at the time of the checkout, and there is no fan in allnet accessories. i think there will be none judging by their statement. The layout of the holes might have changed, you need to wait for the release of the mechanical drawings.

2 Likes

Yes exactly Ive tried to find Rock 5 accessories all I find is Rock Pi 4 rock s etc… Better wait for more accessories

Could any of these bad boys work with rock5?

We haven’t gotten to lay our hands on a ROCK5 yet, but we were told this fan should work: https://ameridroid.com/products/cooling-fan

3 Likes

I will order it soon. Just let me do some math on friday cause I have a few more things to order. Thanks.

How many millimeters does the fan on the opposite PCB side need? It’s exactly below the M.2 SSD…

I think im gonna wait for something oficial cause… paying 19$ for delivery… since I have already ordered the rock5… is a bit overkill if it doesnt fit in the end

This indeed is a VERY nice one to be honest. If a company would create such a case for the 5B, that would be awesome.

The rock5b fan header is xh1.25mm, same as 4C+.

From your picture, the heatsink wire is 2.0mm header, it can not plug directly.

No, the Rock 5 PCB is quite a bit larger than Pi 4B.

1 Like

Raspberry Pi 4B Ultra Thin Ice Tower Cooler
https://a.aliexpress.com/_mPtdoQG

I dont know if this one will fit but looks nice too.

Yay Ameridroid has finally a group page of accessories for Rock 5B

This is what we need for our Rock 5B’s

2 Likes

So I just purchased and received my Rock5B, can anyone confirm if there is a standard the heatsink mounting conforms to? Regardless of it being “okay” to run without, I’m seeing 80 degree C temps in an environment with 20 degree C ambient.

Would also really help to either sell a compatible charger with a UK plug option, or link to a recommended one.

Thats ameridroid collection for the rock 5b I hope they add more stuff.

It’s a 55mm mounting hole that lots of PCH coolers also uses. Just look at the official cooler and find a one with same shape and 55mm mounting hole and you will be fine.

I’m trying to add Rock5 to SBC_Model_Framework to ease the process of making a customizable case for Rock5B, and now we have a prototype from the mechanical drawings, and I would like to ask someone who has a 3D printer to do a verification print see if the measurement is correct. I also ordered 3D print from my local store but it may take some time to arrive. Once the verification (and the measurement fixes after the verification) is corrected I will create a pull request to add Rock5 to SBC_Model_Framework.

rock5_shell.zip (214.6 KB)

2 Likes

Please remove the Pi in the name of Radxa SBC for the 3D file name, the correct name should be:

• ROCK 3A
  • ROCK 4C+
  • ROCK 5B
1 Like