ROCK 3B ideas and discussion

Yes, B key for 4G or 5G modules.

I’m still desperately searching for a good SBC for micro clusters… POE, Gigabit Ethernet, lots of ram, some onboard emmc, and not much else needed.

How about 24 core, 64GB ram arm64 SBC? The questions is, how much do you want to pay for it.

3 Likes

I think you are missing the point as the above was just a suggestion to what was missing and actually a quite simple but specific specification.

In the Radxa range we have a very cluttered range of very similar general purpose SBC and not one as far as I am aware has 8gb Ram that may lend it self to ‘server’ solutions.
When you do have a SoC with unique features such a 8Gb and also ECC then its likely you could charge a premium for specification especially as Armsoc server ram has always been fairly limited when its an often wished requirement.

The RK3566 & RK3568 have some really unique functional specifications that have been glossed over with general purpose hardware of a bit of everything that end up making SBC very close to what is already included in your own product range, with further to come.

8gb ECC could of been possible and would of had unique applications, specifications and probably price point and the 24 core, 64GB reply in an ideas and discussion forum is a tad strange for a few reasons.

Its not my choice but a simple SBC with 8gb is as valid as any other and likely as long as reasonable people would pay for it for specific applications.

You could’ve got one today, but it’s facing a component supply like most, (Odroid-H2+) + 32Gb of RAM + 4 additional 2.5 GbE Ethernet ports(PoE) = $119+$144+$47= $310

And you will need also a 15V/4A PSU = $9.40 and a H2 Type Case = $16
eMMC is removable.

Giving a grand total of = $336 without including shipping.
Now You get an idea what you’re wishing for.

We are in the Rock3B thread so the request I guess was for a simple layout with 8gb as that is the SoCs max, or maybe should of been explained.
The 4x Nic on the Odroid H2 Net Card can be purchased on Hardkernel store for $47 plus shipping and is an example of an addon and if needed then the cost is what it is.

Talking about ram though as we have always been limited the RockPi5 RK3588 supposedly is a max of 32Gb and should be interesting to what is offered, but that is another thread.

hi hipboi,
i would like to see board which will use of ptp v2.1 phy (ieee 1588-2019 with avb, tsn profiles) for networking, instead of realtek’s phys.
it opens usage in ‘cutting’ edge, like automotive, industrial, profi audio/video broadcasting.

1 Like

Hello,
there is a post on https://shop.allnetchina.cn/ stating an estimated batch for rock 3A, may i ask if there is a planned date for rock 3B?

The RK3568 GMAC do support the following:

• Support Ethernet packet timestamping as described in IEEE 1588-2002 and IEEE 1588-2008 (64-bit timestamps given in the Tx or Rx status of PTP packet). Both one-step and two-step timestamping is supported in TX direction

Which phy do you recommend? I think RTL8211FG-VS-CG will work?

1 Like

3B is still in new revision design. It should be available in Oct.

RTL8211FGI-VS-CG is the best choice if it must be realtek :slight_smile:

edited:
according to specs it is not clear if RTL8211FG-VS-CG and RTL8211FGI-VS-CG supports what is precursor of tsn/avb profile (ieee 1588-2019), or only RTL8211FGI-VS-CG.

1 Like

Following this reply, is it possible to produce a carrier card that slots under rock pi 3b ( if possible with screw holes that matches rock pi 3b ) with 5GbaseT or 10G? ( with marvell aqc107 / 108 / 111c )
I know this is kind of pushing the limits ( and price limits? ) for this board.

The quad SGMI MAC is clearly shown but how the mux of Serdes lines works I don’t know and if it can be enabled via a DTSI?

So I guess because its a quad SGMI then the daughterboard could be 4x 1gbe, 2x 2.5gbe or 1x 5gbe phy chip.

I am more looking forward for an PCIe Gen3 x2 bridged 2.5/5/10Gbase-T solution, just wonder the possibility and whether this processor is good for this task? ( having one big trunk is easier for scaling rather than having to do link aggregation )

Link aggregation doesn’t work that well anyway, in the real world with a switch that can do dedicated port trunking 3x gives approx 2x speed and the overhead increases (handshaking) compared to a dedicated port which on a 22nm 4xA55 is likely to be approx Radxa-Zero level.

The SoC has IO well beyond its processing capabilities as the RK3568 was a router board for a cluster of RK3566.

It seems the impatience of the wait for the RK3588 has caused Radxa to force its PicoItx format and function onto the RK3568 and there are many things it has the IO for but not CPU capability to match.
It should of been a router and the RK3566 should of been another low cost SBC with a video/AI slant but hey.

Hmmm, Well i still think this runs good as an SOHO router, which needs some testing ( whats the max routing speed this processor can do ), and still hoping for some solution that can fit anything faster than 1G via m.2 m key ( since this board’s m.2 orientation, it seems that accepting an wider than 22mm board is acceptable ), I think i am opting for OpenWRT ( now with a large population surrounding RK3328 and RK3399, hope this trend continues into rk3566 3568 ). And @jack will there be an official heatsink for this board?

Have 1588 support is a great addition. Please check first if exist 1588 linux driver support for the PHY.

Will this new board support the penta hat or can you take a diy approach and add a 4 port or 8 port sata card and reuse on old atx pc box? Will there be ways to power using an atx power supply plus and hdd? Since kobol has dropped making the helios64, are there any plans to have a similar project with community feedback on options? i know ecc memory was asked on the helios 64 and the helios 4 already had this. Thx

@Pew why do you explicitly need a hat? You can just use a regular m.2 to SATA card instead - or two of them.

@DIYprojectz I personally would not want to go with this route(a sata hat) based on a user named tkaiser and his findings on performance issues.

Are you suggesting to go with a m2. to sata board like this

And a 4x pcie sata card?

Thanks