RK3588 / Rock pi 5 /Development?

boot from nvme is faster makes the system snappyer (for as far snapyer is a word).It also allows for a faster swapable fille…Yes you can buy 8gb ram now…but how long until chromes cut down version(chroome light) needs more then 8 gb…(my home computer often needs more then 8 gb for browser alone)…i know not the same thing not a fair comparising but the trend is notable…the swapfille will never be as good as the ram (not fast enaugh ) but it will allow you to extend the life of your sbc a bit longer.Then there is the price factor emmc 5.0 are more expensive ea gb and are slower then the nvme(it is logical nvme hes bigger market share).if you want it cheap go sd card want performance go nvme…the emmc slot is just taking up space ofc (thats my opinion).and the nvme can eventualy move board (aka to new board) it will be a long time before sbc get up to the full capacity of my current nvme 5000 mbs…for emmc you might want to swap it to higher speeds(when a new version comes out) not needit with nvme.+having a nvme plugged in allows for maximum utilisation of bandwith or usb 3 port…the only limiting (*bye mather of speakin)factor is how fast the target device can write it down.alternative if for whatever reason your no longer have intrest in sbc you can use the nvme in a future pc build unlike the emmc 5

i wanne use the new rk3588 as lightbrowsing computer and as external hdd with build in computer for accesing: manipulating the data on the nvme as i desire and use it as media center.all of this in pocket size

Actually there is limited returns but a nvme on a old core2 duo or even celeron its not great as the CPU bottlenecks the nvme more than other storage bottlenecks the CPU.

If you have a server style SBC than fast storage can be served, application SBC need a cpu matched to storage.
The rk3588 isn’t that fast a application processor and like others say and eMMC 5.1 can provide up 400 MB/s eMMC isn’t slow just the variants and interface used often are due to cost.
Rockchip have given the rk3588 eMMC support and not Universal Flash memory UFS support most likely because they think it is out of balance with the CPU and cost.

Its balance and a RK3588 is likely to be the 1st real low end desktop sbc experience once we have full MESA drivers and various hardware have been pushed upstream.
We have a release approx Nov for early adopters but likely it could be another year or 2 down stream.

eMMC module (removable)

Industrial level high performance eMMC storage, 16G/32G/64G/128G available

400mbs

Source :

4.0 128gb

https://www.antratek.be/128gb-emmc-module-with-linux-for-n2

_>>€ 62,92<<

VS

Crucial P2 SSD 500GB, M.2 PCIe NVMe

Capaciti

500 GB

Gewicht en omvang

formfactor

M.2 2280

read (max)

2300 MB/s

write(max)

940 MB/s

Interface

PCI express 3.0

mSATA

Type geheugen

TLC

PCI Express Interface data lanes

X4
source:
https://www.informatique.nl/490234/crucial-p2-ssd-500gb-m-2-pcie-nvme.html
_>>57,95<<

i personly think its a quik choise…half more speed atleast 3.5 times more capacity…i think the future is nvme even for sbc.is why i think its up to radxa to mount the nvme up to there sbc(witouth extension board) even if it means adding 2 to 3 mm of empty pcb …ever toughtof limiting urself to the size your competitor sets is a bad idea (since they offer les features then you)…you come with more features if you get the software hardware in line you are the better choise mayby just mayby bye not limiting your board size to there size you could overtake the sbc market…(we talking about 2 to 3 mm more in length)…i know its change is hard and risky but sometimes the reward is worth it

Is the RK3588 ever going to become more than just a dream?

Wait till December to know more.

I hope they have something by December?

There seems to be some news on amlogic working on 8core soc with more than 4GB Ram support.

2 Likes

As said its 16th December and rk have announced it.

https://www.cnx-software.com/2021/12/16/rockchip-rk3588-datasheet-sbc-coming-soon/

RockPi 5 coming soon.

ROCK 5B will be first, Pico ITX form factor.

3 Likes

Jack,
Would that be roughly 100mm x 72mm for the Rock 5B?
Will the Rock 5A have a form factor more akin to the Rock Pi 4 series and the Rock 3A?

The cpu die is quite big to be accommodated on rpi form factor. Unless many of its io it’s removed.

Rk3568 itself is bigger when dual Ethernet jacks are placed.

RK3588 for 5B and probably RK3588S for 5A, but 5A is not on the table yet.

Does the RK3588S have reduced capabilities? Reduced speed?

Some sample pics can be found here.

Yes looks like missing pcie.

I thought we would get the Rock5 announcement the same day as 3588 official announcement =)

good that the wait is almost over :slight_smile:

Hello,

I saw on cnx-software that buttons and leds on rock5 model b would be soldered. Could you please add buttons and leds as pin headers instead of soldered one? I’m asking because this modifications allows sbc to be easier adapted to cases like itx or as mainboard for old classic computers for retro (atari, amiga etc.). Thanks.

1 Like

RK3588 for 5B and probably RK3588S for 5A, but 5A is not on the table yet.

@jack I saw prices for 5B on https://ameridroid.com/products/rock5-model-b
$160 - for 4GB LPDDR4x RAM
$180 - for 8GB LPDDR4x RAM
$230 - for 16GB LPDDR4x RAM
Is that real price? or overpriced, because they have 50$ off coupon (cost 5$) for early buyers?

As far as I know, the price would be something like below but please wait for the official announcement.

3 Likes

RK3588 is Rockchip’s latest octa-core flagship chip. It is specially designed for 8K scene applications. It has excellent performance and can be widely used in ARM cluster servers, edge computing, video codec, automotive electronics, PC and other fields. The expansion interface of RK3588 is also very rich, which is very suitable for industry product customization. RK3588S is RK3588 low-equipped version, the difference is similar RK3568 with RK3566 different, basically the same design framework, different segments oriented.

RK3588 can be said to be the general-purpose ARM SoC chip with the most abundant interfaces at present. The chip performance is also very balanced, and the video decoding ability is very prominent. It will have a wide range of applications in the audio and video field. Therefore, RK3588 is oriented to high-end industrial applications, while RK3588S frame is similar to RK3588, but with fewer interfaces, it is mainly oriented to consumer products. RK3588S has fewer video input and output interfaces, type-c interfaces, SATA interfaces, and RJ45 network ports than RK3588, and RK3588S does not support PCI-E expansion, which makes the positioning of the two clearly differentiated.

Considering that the stacking design of RK3588 and RK3588S is relatively complicated, it is recommended that you consider the product form of the core board and the bottom plate, and B2B connectors are recommended. At present, the height of the connector can be controlled to 0.4mm, and the impact of the connector itself on the thickness of the PCBA has been very small. The core board products have a great effect on reducing the development cost of multiple projects, including the later inventory cost.

The package size of RK3588 is 2323mm, and the package size of RK3588S is 1717mm. RK3588 is more suitable for industrial supplies with little restrictions on product volume, while RK3588S is more suitable for portable equipment. In general, the performance of RK3588 and RK3588S are consistent. If the usage scenario is relatively simple and the interface requirements are not complicated, it is recommended to consider RK3588S, which can effectively control the cost. On the other hand, if it is a product that needs to be used across scenarios and has complex interface requirements, RK3588 is recommended. Judging from the performance design of RK3588, it can meet the iterative needs in the next five years and is very suitable for AIoT applications.

Source:
http://www.360doc.cn/article/476286_1011204350.html
Translated bye google

this is an easier to read comparison, for RK3588 and RK3588S. in Chinese, but still readable. yellow row means “same spec”. hope this help.

https://www.ebaina.com/questions/100000047591

the main diff should be that RK3588S cut down PCIe to 2.1 (2 lanes), which seems to be shared with USB3 host and SATA, and a single GbE only. USB3 OTG is still available (as well as DP alt mode). Wonder if it can somehow replace RK3568 for Rock Pi E (2.5G on one lane, 5G/LTE on the other lane)?

Wonder if it can somehow replace RK3568 for Rock Pi E (2.5G on one lane, 5G/LTE on the other lane)?

It’s on the roadmap already. E25 for RK3568, E55 for the RK3588S.