Residue on the Screen After Exited Full Screen Video

I’ve been tuning Debian on Rock Pi 4 using a 10+ years old NEC monitor, the resolution is 1440x900. It doesn’t have any modern connectivity, I bought a HDMI to DVI cable to hook it up. Ironically, it was part of my original motivations of building all these SBC stuff - to find a use of this old monitor on the shelf. I can easily find a better monitor on pcliquidations.com for less than 30 bucks, and I ended up spending hundreds of dollars to salvage it. Reuse is great in concept, but often went wrong in execution :joy:

Anyway, I want to say I’m not using Rock Pi 4 with some fancy hardware.

Using Rock Pi 4 running Linux definitely is not as smooth as the latest Windows 10 PC or MacBook. I always feel it would break apart anytime, but at the size and cost, I shouldn’t expect something unrealistic.

Sometimes, exiting from fullscreen when RockPi4 is playing video, there are some residues leftover:

With fresh built Debian ARM64, it doesn’t happen very often. But if I keep getting upgrades or adding new features, at certain point, it becomes a severe problem - happens almost every time you get out of full screen mode.

It’s hard to pinpoint the component to blame, the process way too time consuming. For this reason, I’ll drop mpv from my next Debian ARM64 build, it’s kinda disappointing.

There are always, at any time and in any operating system, image remnants left when switching between different resolutions. I even saw image remnants after turning off the PC for 5 seconds. Normally, the window manager should always first draw an “empty” background for the desktop and for each window, so that we can’t see the remnants.

1 Like

I’ve always noticed this on some of the lighter weight linux window managers. KDE and GNOME are a much larger footprint and might not be suitable for SBCs but they tend to clear out the screen junk better.

1 Like

I agree window managers probably are responsible more or less. Meanwhile, I didn’t find the same problem with Firefox, but Firefox’s performance is not up to the same level of Chromium, a lot more hiccups when playing the same video.

1 Like