Request for a large convenient power button for ROCK 5B and fanless case

I wouldn’t want to poke a match or a toothpick every day to turn it on. Please upgrade the board with a comfortable big push button and this fanless case for this board.

Look at the KKSB case.

It can be passive or active and has a “functional” power button. I don’t use it because I need a closed shell in a dusty environment, but if you don’t have this problem, one of the best case IMHO.

3 Likes

Thanks, but I don’t like this design. I prefer the one with the green bet.

Also, instead of a mini HDMI input on the front, it would be better to make USB-C and a couple of regular USB 3.0. I don’t know who needs an HDMI input and why it was placed in front and not in the back.

This is just personal opinion, as HDMI input can have plenty of uses, some I can think of immediately is using the board as a capture card or running object detection.

As for the case, the KKSB has exactly what you’re asking for. A large button and has a removable passive heatsink if you ever want a fan. If you want green, paint it.

1 Like

The KKSB case has an ugly design and a small heatsink. As for the HDMI input, why is it needed on the front panel and why do we need a stupid mini connector.

If you want to use it seriously, just mount the fan inside instead of the heatsink.

1 Like

Because hdmi-in is supported by chip and taking in account NPU - there is actually a lot of reason why it’s here.

As for placement and size - we are talking about sbc, don’t forget it, there is not THAT much space

2 Likes

Just wanted to say thank you for this thread. The mentioning of the KKSB case for the Rock 5B above made me search for it, find it online and buying it.

The case is easy to assemble, to work with and the cooling with the passive heat sink is sufficient for my needs. The lack of a fan is a plus for me as the computer is my media player (and more).

A detail that might annoy you is that there is no way to access the SSD without taking the case apart. For me, to be honest, that detail is a plus.

Another thing that might be annoying is that the Radxa A8 bluetooth/wifi6 m.2 module might need some extra gear because the all-metal case functions as a Faraday’s cage. The solution I plan to use is to have two 100mm MHF4 to SMA adapters combined with dual-band external antennas. The case is prepared with four break-away tabs for such adapters, so no need for drilling.

My only complaint is the hole that lets the very bright power/activity LED shine through, but that was easily remedied with a piece of tape and a black marker. It still shines through, but now it is sufficiently dimmed. If someone knows how to dim that green/turquoise LED in software I would be grateful.

Finally I just wish KKSB had a matching case for the tiny amplifier (by Adafruit) that powers my speakers…