Rbuild: dpkg-deb: error: archive './/var/cache/apt/archives/base-files_12ubuntu4_arm64.deb' uses unknown compression for member 'control.tar.zst', giving up

Hello, I have a problem when trying to build the rock-5b jammy cli using -

./rbuild rock-5b jammy cli

It fails with -

2023/09/05 10:11:30 debootstrap.log | dpkg-deb: error: archive ‘.//var/cache/apt/archives/base-files_12ubuntu4_arm64.deb’ uses unknown compression for member ‘control.tar.zst’, giving up
2023/09/05 10:11:30 debootstrap.log | tar: This does not look like a tar archive
2023/09/05 10:11:30 debootstrap.log | tar: Exiting with failure status due to previous errors
2023/09/05 10:11:30 Action debootstrap failed at stage Run, error: exit status 1
Powering off.

I am following the instructions from www.okdo.com/project/building-rock-os-images/, including forking the repository, on a fresh clean Ubuntu 22.04 VM. I needed to do a couple of additions to the VM to get it to this point, including enabling VM nested virtualisation and installing udo, ruby-rubygems and curl. I am using the latest master branch and I have spotted that the builds are failing, for what looks like a service not being available.

I have tried going back a couple of git revisions to see if the problem is recent and can be circumvented using a particular earlier revision, but no success yet.

Has anyone else seen this? Can anyone recommend a solution?

Many thanks in advance.

Rob

A quick update - Running rbuild with bullseye works fine for the rock-3b and the rock-5b. So the problem looks like its isolated to jammy.