Radxa zero USB not writeable and not accessible over samba

I am having trouble setting up my Radxa zero as a network storage. I want to have a shared USB drive that I can access with android and windows. Currently, I have the Rzero running Debian with Pihole installed. I am having two problems. 1) not able to have writable usb drive. I can mount in with sudo mount /dev/sbc3 /media/usb but then it is read only. 2) I am able to see the full set of files on the system and not a single folder.
I modified the smb.conf to have
SHARED
Comment = shared folder
Read only = no
Locking = no
Browseable = yes
Writeable = yes
guest ok = yes
Path = “/rock/SHARED”
valid users = rock

If I could get just the USB to be accessible on the radxa and over the network, I would be happy. I would prefer to have a single file accessible and not the full file system for the user.

Any help would be awesome. Thanks

Try:

[global]
        client max protocol = SMB3
        name resolve order = wins lmhosts host bcast
        security = USER
        username map = /etc/samba/smbusers
        idmap config * : backend = tdb

[rootfs]
        create mask = 0644
        force group = root
        force user = root
        path = /
        read only = No

Did you issued smbpasswd -a username?

If above config does not load try lmhost instead of lmhosts.

2 Likes

Thanks for that pbies. I got it working! But when I try and replicate it with a large 1tb USB, I am having trouble with permissions. Even within the terminal, when i sudo cd to the directory that the USB is mounted, It wont allow me to access the files.

I tried sudo chmod 777 directory and it started to change the permissions one by one of each file. Needless to say, it crashed after 20 minutes. These files were added to the drive via a windows PC but have no permissions (any pc you plug it into will show the files).

Any suggestions for changing the drive permissions as a whole?

I don’t know what files you have on your drive and how they landed there so not exactly I can advise anything here.