Radxa OS. Will it be updated?

The current Radxa OS is based on Debian bullseye with kernel 5.10.110-38-rockchip
Are there any chances that it will soon be updated to Debian 12 bookworm with kernel 6.10 ?
TNX

Seems like the update is happening…

Rock 5B…and what about the poor souls who made the error of buying a 5A ?

5A is probably next to get its update with recent kernel. Its really similar to 5A in many aspects.

Doesn’t look like 5A will get an update.

https://github.com/orgs/radxa-build/repositories just has builds for 5B, 5B+, ITX, 5C, and CM5.

5A will be updated, but the development has not started yet.

What’s wrong about 5A?

From my observations it seems that 5A gets a little ignored for software updates in comparison.
5B gets the flagship treatment.

But it’s understandable, with so many boards and growing company you focus on the top unit first.

Third party distros are quite synchronised. But OK, I understand that the first party images lag behind a bit for 5A.

Third party distros mostly suck / are unusable (with few exceptions). At least in my personal experience.

My experience is exactly opposite, they are made by enthusiasts for enthusiasts so have a lot more functions that non-industrial users care about. First party are good for set and forget boxes

1 Like

That’s funny and very curious. I don’t see the enthusiasm that you’re talking about at all.
Software support is hard work. Unpaid (or low-paid) hard work is usually bad work since there’s no long-term incentive and dedicated time for it.

Take my experiences with Armbian for example. I tried countless images with so many different boards and the outcome is always the same - no boot, freeze/crash on startup, or no video output (unusable). Happened to me on 5A, 3A, 4C+, Zero, Khadas VIM3, Orange Pi 4… Tried various versions over months or even years and it’s always been the same (last month and last week are the latest cases for me). All supposedly official images released on the boards’ official pages. I’m not a Linux engineer to fix the kernel all by myself every time (I would if I could of course, but I’ve no idea how to do that)…

I just bought a couple of 4c+'s and have spend hours to try to find which current Debian/Ubuntu distro/image that is supported and works with low power mode (when idling).

A few more attempts to see if I can find any descent image, else, I will try to sell then and go back to RPI’s.

Just sharing my first experience with the Rock boards related to the thread topic.

//Sweguy