Question regarding linux-images

After digging with apt search linux-image, I got this list

linux-image-5.10.0-0.bpo.8-arm64/buster-backports 5.10.46-4~bpo10+1 arm64
Linux 5.10 for 64-bit ARMv8 machines (signed)

linux-image-5.10.0-0.bpo.8-arm64-dbg/buster-backports 5.10.46-4~bpo10+1 arm64
Debug symbols for linux-image-5.10.0-0.bpo.8-arm64

linux-image-5.10.0-0.bpo.8-arm64-unsigned/buster-backports 5.10.46-4~bpo10+1 arm64
Linux 5.10 for 64-bit ARMv8 machines

linux-image-5.10.0-0.bpo.8-cloud-arm64/buster-backports 5.10.46-4~bpo10+1 arm64
Linux 5.10 for arm64 cloud (signed)

linux-image-5.10.0-0.bpo.8-cloud-arm64-dbg/buster-backports 5.10.46-4~bpo10+1 arm64
Debug symbols for linux-image-5.10.0-0.bpo.8-cloud-arm64

linux-image-5.10.0-0.bpo.8-cloud-arm64-unsigned/buster-backports 5.10.46-4~bpo10+1 arm64
Linux 5.10 for arm64 cloud

linux-image-5.10.0-0.bpo.8-rt-arm64/buster-backports 5.10.46-4~bpo10+1 arm64
Linux 5.10 for 64-bit ARMv8 machines, PREEMPT_RT (signed)

linux-image-5.10.0-0.bpo.8-rt-arm64-dbg/buster-backports 5.10.46-4~bpo10+1 arm64
Debug symbols for linux-image-5.10.0-0.bpo.8-rt-arm64

linux-image-5.10.0-0.bpo.8-rt-arm64-unsigned/buster-backports 5.10.46-4~bpo10+1 arm64
Linux 5.10 for 64-bit ARMv8 machines, PREEMPT_RT

Is one of this images usable for rockpis ?

Currently running 4.4.143-65-rockchip
Thanks in advance

None of them.

I suggest you use kernel version 4.4.143 for your current image.

Use the following commands to list available kernel

sudo apt update
sudo apt-cache search 4.4.143

Hi Stephen,

thank you for the response. I still running 4.4.143-65.
This is the apt search output from my rockpis board. So, I’m wondering
to see 5.10.0 kernel.

It there a chance, that raxda will provide a mainline kernel for this board ?

I know, that the armbian guys are working on this. But they chose tty2 as debug, that have
broke the SPI interface.

The main problem why a current kernel is about the incomplete implementation uf USB audio UAC2. UAC2 with 4.4 kernel is not recognized on Windows.

For my opinion, the Rockpis is exact the board for what diy-audio guys are looking for.
Have otg and be able to feed a digital amplifier with 8 channel.

FYI. Armbian guys stopped working on this hardware, since R&D on daily changing mainline kernel is very expensive, a lot more than providing support on Rockhip private kernels that Radxa downloads free of charge from Rockchip.

Radxa never supported Armbian, end users contribute less then 0.5% of the costs, so support for this hardware is simply not justifiable. Doesn’t work out. I know you, as end user, would like to have a great support, other projects that are dependent from Armbian as well … So do we, but by generating no income this is not possible.

It was a choice from someone making changes to the boot loader code. Personally I don’t need this board to function in any way, but I still lost a week trying to fix that. One week of my time … where to send a bill to? Just for that.

I really respect the work from the armbian guys.

You make a great job and yes, it is a shame that raxda does nothing
to support you.
I can understand, that you stopped the work on this board. But I do not understand
why radata take not the chance to have a actual image present for their boards.

I would like to help with the board, but my knowledge is to limited. I recompiled
armbian with tty0, but it does not boot. I spend also a week on that with no success.
That the reason for dropping a bug report on your forum in the hope that someone
knows how to revert tty2 back to tty0.

For my point of view, as end user, I would like to have a image based on current kernel with
a current debian/ubuntu.
All the overlays, that support the advertised features of the board, should be avail.

I think the required support depend on the quality of the provided image. When most of the features runs out of the box, then I do not need support.

This is my very first soc-board, I have bought. And I have learned a lot. The important thing I have learned is to not buy a board, where is no mainline kernel is avail.

I agree. We need newer kernel. And support for w1_therm sensor.

I am currently using 4.4.154-113-rockchip-gdb9dfc2cdd25.

Backstage is always complicated.

Because quality software is expensive to make? All this dealing with end users is pointless trouble? Hardware sellers view on software support is fundamentally different, then yours or mine.

Start here - https://www.armbian.com/newsflash/armbian-needs-your-help/ - contribute with what you are best at - to relieve people that creates very specific value for you / us.

… and choose hardware vendor that has attitude toward open source. But it’s never too late - perhaps Radxa once realize mistakes they are making, even they don’t need you nor me. As we don’t need them :wink:

1 Like

@igorp This is what I am getting when trying to download images or torrent files for Rock Pi:

Or download at 24 kilobytes per second…

You didn’t read the document?

You didn’t understood my comment?

I guess not. What is the problem?

I don’t know, what is the problem?

Which URL you are getting this error? How to reproduce?

Enter Armbian site, look for Rock Pi 4B system images, click the links/buttons to download image directly or torrent file. That’s all. And depending on which server will be chosen you get file (at 24 kB/s) or 404 error.

I have clicked 20-30 times and I always get top speed download, no 404. Perhaps it was some random glitch on the network.

Cannot help that any way, but for a such advertised OS the link should be immediately available and supporting few MB/s download speed - not 24 kB/s.

Also I tried once again Armbian, didn’t managed to make DS18B20 work and get back to Radxa-provided OS once again. I’ve spent 5 hours yesterday to make thermal sensor work in Armbian and it is all lost. I noticed hundreds of errors in syslog while booting fresh Armbian which is weird for an OS directly from the image. This makes intercourse with Armbian below acceptable level. I see no reason to use this OS.

I really don’t know what you are talking about. We have many dedicated servers and they all operate perfectly fine. Perhaps problem is on your side.

Again I have no idea what you are talking about. In case you want to report something, this is the way to go: https://www.armbian.com/bugs

In case you need support, for any OS, original or fake - 1.000 USD/h. So you will spent your time doing something else.

Hahaha! You’re ridiculous.

Maximum what I would pay for Extra Extreme Pro version of Armbian with no errors in syslog and thermal sensor working out of the box is 2 USD (two US dollars) for a lifetime, dedicated license.

This is not a licence fee. Its the value of my personal time to help you on something that has nothing to do with me.

1 Like

If you don’t want to help for free on a forum, just switch IT to other branch in the economy.

GL! HF!

PS. I am putting you in ignore state as I don’t want to read bs.