Problem with nexus-tools and fastboot

Hello, dear Radxa team.

I have an issue with the nexus-tools installation. I followed the instruction on Radxa wiki about eMMc erasing https://wiki.radxa.com/Zero/install/eMMC_erase.

My problem is that nexustools are apparenty succesfully installed in my Ubuntu 18.04 (terminal command: bash <(curl -s https://raw.githubusercontent.com/corbindavenport/nexus-tools/master/install.sh) but when I type

which fastboot

Nothing happens. Furthermore, when I try to enter

sudo fastboot devices

I receive the info “command not found”. When I look for the nexustools with grep, dpkg or which commands nothing appears… And I had tried to wipe the eMMC in my Windows notebook, I could not, though.

That is why I hoped I would be able to do it on my Linux, but I sadly have stumbled in that problem. And without being able to erase the eMMC I cannot boot from the 32 GB SD card flashed with the Ubuntu Focal image you have uploaded for us.

Your client,

Marlon

If you installed fastboot failed, you can try to install it directly from Ubuntu apt.

sudo apt install fastboot
which fastboot

Dear mr. Jack,

Thank you so much for the prompt answer. I will try and then I will get back to you with a feedback. And yet another theme: what about the GPIO support with the libmraa library, as I was you mention in another post? When do you think it will be implemented and working?

Best regards.

your client

So, as I promised: the feedback that I successfully downloaded fastboot and
out of those steps:
sudo fastboot devices
1234567890 fastboot
sudo fastboot flashing unlock_critical
sudo fastboot flashing unlock

sudo fastboot erase bootloader
sudo fastboot erase bootloader-boot0
sudo fastboot erase bootloader-boot1
sudo fastboot reboot

I could the first three ones. When I try the command with “erase” I receibe the message FAILED (remote: locked device)

which loader do you run with boot-g12.py?

libmraa for zero: https://wiki.radxa.com/Zero/dev/libmraa

Mr. Jack, thank you for the prompt answer. I will try and use libmraa with hardware. As for the emmc erase trial and error, I am following the Wiki instructions with factory-loader.img

Mr Jack,

Good morning. Are there any news about the problem with bootload lock still locked after I try the fastboot command? I wonder why you asked me about which bootloader I was using, if there is only one option given in the wiki. Where could I get a second option from? And the what about the ubuntu focal user name and password problem I saw reported in another step?

Best regards,

Marlon

Look for the post i made about, FAILED (remote: locked device), i did have some workaround about that.

Thank you so much, mr. mrkprdo, for the solution. I will try it. Have you done any project on Radxa zero?

Hey, bro, when I try to erase the emmc on ubuntu, by typing lsub command in the beginning I see

Bus 002 Device 030: ID 1b8e:c003 Amlogic, Inc. GX-CHIP

withtout the “GX-CHIP” in the end. And after using the “fastboot devices” command and writing factory-loader.img to it, I use the “fastboot flashing unlock_critical” and “fastboot flashing unlock” commands, then I unplug it and plug it again, then I upload the “rz-boot-loader.bin” to as you told me, then I type the “fastboot erase bootloder, fastboot erase 0, fastboot 1” commands, everything seems to work. However, after that I still see the
following upon typing lsusb command:

Bus 002 Device 030: ID 1b8e:c003 Amlogic, Inc.

without the "GX-CHIP" in the end. And now when I plug in USB boot mode with a 32GB uCard inserted (flashed with Armbian image for RZ), all I see is a black screen, in which I get the current date and local time, but it does seem to boot from the uCard. I am quite sure my two laptops USB ports are not 3.0, since they are both 10 years old (one has Ubuntu 18.04 and the other Windows 7). 

How can I solve that? I have a Radxa Zero with 16 GB emmc and 4 GB RAM, but I cannot do anything with it though.... I payed a good money for it, it has been lying idle around for almost two months now....and I had great plan for it in connection with robotic and AI projects :frowning:

Mr Jack, help, please…

I have followed what mkrprdo has recommended… Howerver… when I try to erase the emmc on ubuntu, by typing lsub command in the beginning I see

Bus 002 Device 030: ID 1b8e:c003 Amlogic, Inc. GX-CHIP

withtout the “GX-CHIP” in the end. And after using the “fastboot devices” command and writing factory-loader.img to it, I use the “fastboot flashing unlock_critical” and “fastboot flashing unlock” commands, then I unplug it and plug it again, then I upload the “rz-boot-loader.bin” to as you told me, then I type the “fastboot erase bootloder, fastboot erase 0, fastboot 1” commands, everything seems to work. However, after that I still see the
following upon typing lsusb command:

Bus 002 Device 030: ID 1b8e:c003 Amlogic, Inc.

without the "GX-CHIP" in the end. And now when I plug in USB boot mode with a 32GB uCard inserted (flashed with Armbian image for RZ), all I see is a black screen, in which I get the current date and local time, but it does seem to boot from the uCard. I am quite sure my two laptops USB ports are not 3.0, since they are both 10 years old (one has Ubuntu 18.04 and the other Windows 7). 

How can I solve that? I have a Radxa Zero with 16 GB emmc and 4 GB RAM, but I cannot do anything with it though.... I payed a good money for it, it has been lying idle around for almost two months now....and I had great plan for it in connection with robotic and AI projects :frowning:

Thank you so much. Twister OS Focal is running on my Radxa Zero, I can boot in normally. I only have one question: how can I install libmraa in this distro? It seems not to be available, not even node.js can get installed. I did not succeed to get either Debian or Ubuntu distro running, that is why I have to resort to this larger one (13 gb, that is quite a big environment!)

libmraa is distributed via our own APT repo, you can read more about its installation here.

Although you might be able to install our official image after go through some manual steps to properly clean your eMMC. We also planned to have a maskrom image to do this automatically later, but for now you have to follow the instruction.

Thank you, It is already solved, everythig is working with Twister OS. But I still seem to have troubles boot from either Debian or Ubuntu. Nothing appears on the screen apart from a black background. It only boots the microsd car when it is flashed with Twister OS - and that is a problem, since I am not aloud to properly use GPIO there (I2C, SPI, UART). I cannot even download that file we are supposed to according to the Debian and Ubuntu installation, I mean, these ones: sudo apt install -y linux-headers-5.10.69-4-amlogic-g37ae4051315a
$ sudo apt install -y linux-image-5.10.69-4-amlogic-g37ae4051315a . How can I solve that?

Follow the guide and erase your eMMC before installing.