So, against my better judgement I gave it a try. It has little to no difference, maybe 1 degree better. In terms of heat transfer, you typically want to be pulling the hot air away not trying to force air into a box where it has nowhere to go. The fact that this even has a marginal effect speaks to the inability to get air where it needs to be.
I hope this is seen as constructive feedback than a disgruntled customer (despite the username). For the most part I like the concept despite the 3 days of troubleshooting, broken emmc mount (my bad) and my own custom holes to enable use of an sd card (because the case doesn’t allow the use of one…).
A few tips for your next design… this unit needs to go the other way around. The rockpi needs to be at the top with a fan on the heat sink seeing as this is the source of most of the heat. The hard disks and hat can site below.
- The case needs to facilitate the use of SD card on the rock pi.
- You should focus on 1 board rather than then many you seem to offer and get it right.
- Rather than offering many distributions of your own. Leverage other distributions and write easy add-ons to one so that the majority of foreseeable software can be applied. In the case of NAS OMV 5 is a no brainer. I highly suggest you have a step by step tutorial on all aspects of the install of such aswell (or some other alternative).
- I honestly think that you need to refine this design before you sell any more I think it will do your brand more harm than good (tough call to make though I wouldn’t want to be in position myself).
- Finally, I highly encourage you to thoroughly test these designs before taking to market, there are sooo many issues that could be resolved easily during prototyping… In fact, also hire a business guy to advise, Apple needed both Wozniak and Jobs to be successful. Without either it would have failed.
Anyways, take it or leave it :). Thanks for your assistance in any event setq.
One thing you have going for you is attentive service (and your obviously bloody savy with this stuff), it’s hard to put a price on that, keep it up.
Only somewhat disgruntled…