OpenMediaVault on Rockpi4c?

Looking for advice on installing OpenMediaVault on Rockpi4c. Wondering if it is possible ? I currently have Ubuntu 20.04 running on my Rockpi4c and I managed get armbian-config (awesome tool!) as well on it. But that tool doesn’t list OpenMediaVault.

You need a Dedian image for OMV.
Dowload Armbian Buster or Bullseye, go to armbian-config -> softy > install OMV
https://www.armbian.com/rock-pi-4/
No desktop needed.
I do use desktop + omv on Odroid HC4, just cause I sometims use it for other tasks.

1 Like

Thanks NicoD. My home NAS is indeed armbian + OMV + Odroid HC2 which works great for me. (Thanks Armbian!) I never buy a board unless I see an Armbian support :slight_smile: The challenge I have with Rockpi4c + armbian is that my 1TB NVME SSD drive is not getting recognized and I couldn’t understand all the technicalities. I believe there is flashing of SP1 involved. So I kind’a chickened out :slight_smile: But even if I take chances, I wasn’t sure if armbian-config for Rockpi4c will show up OMV to install. Thought I’ll ask for advice first. thanks!

Has it ever been used? If not you’d might need to create a partition table before being able to use it.
You can do that with a desktop armbian image and install gparted. Then Device -> create partition table

It is also possible the drive isn’t supported. But I had NVMe drives not being supported on the Radxa images, but all of them work on Armbian.

What brand is it?

The SPI thing is if you want to boot from NVMe without using a SD-card or eMMC.

Yes. I am currently using it running Ubuntu20.04. The only reason I am with Ubuntu is because it recognized the SSD. Or else I am a happy Armbian camper. This is the one I have:

The command ‘lsblk’ did not list the nvme drive with Armbian. But Ubuntu does.

#lsblk
nvme0n1 259:0 0 931.5G 0 disk
└─nvme0n1p1 259:1 0 931.5G 0 part /data

#fdisk Disk /dev/nvme0n1: 931.53 GiB, 1000204886016 bytes, 1953525168 sectors
Units: sectors of 1 * 512 = 512 bytes
Sector size (logical/physical): 512 bytes / 512 bytes
I/O size (minimum/optimal): 512 bytes / 512 bytes
Disklabel type: dos
Disk identifier: 0x4c6e1bfa

Device Boot Start End Sectors Size Id Type
/dev/nvme0n1p1 2048 1953525167 1953523120 931.5G 83 Linux

Thanks for the clarification on SPI. I am happy booting with SD-card.

1 Like