Only first overlay is loaded from multiple overlays, intemittent

Hi Everyone,

I have noticed that only first overlay is loaded from multiple overlays in the /boot/uEnv.txt.
For example, in the /boot/uEnv.txt, it has multiple overlays:
overlays=meson-g12a-spi-gpio-enc28j60 meson-g12a-uart-ao-b-on-gpioao-8-gpioao-9 meson-g12a-uart-ao-a-on-gpioao-0-gpioao-1 meson-g12a-spi-spidev

Only meson-g12a-spi-gpio-enc28j60 overlay is loaded.

I using Radxa Zero v1.4, v1.51, Debian 10.
pi@radxa-zero:~$ uname -a
Linux radxa-zero 5.10.165-1-stable #179624a57 SMP PREEMPT Tue Jan 31 03:53:59 UTC 2023 aarch64 GNU/Linux

Is there any other way to load the multiple overlays that more reliable?

Thanks in advance.
Dennis

This issue is intermittent.
Most of the time, the Radxa zero could not load multiple overlays.
One in a while it could load the multiple overlays.
Thanks

Please try capture the boot log from serial and provide the one where not all overlays are loaded.

Hi Yuntian,

Most of the time, the boot loader loads only the first overlay:
Is there other any reliable way to load the UART_A0_B /dev/ttyAML1?
Thanks and regards,
Dennis

You could manually edit /boot/boot.cmd to explicitly load each overlay you are using, and check the output. You will need to run sudo mkimage -C none -A arm -T script -d /boot/boot.cmd /boot/boot.scr to build it first.

In addition, I assume you are trying to use pin 35/37. Pin 35 is used by system LED, so you need to disable it to free up the resource.

First, clone our overlays repo, then modify the below overlay to disable led-green node instead, which is used in our Linux 5.10 kernel:

1: https://github.com/radxa/overlays/blob/main/arch/arm64/boot/dts/amlogic/overlays/radxa-zero-led-8-off.dts#L14
2: https://github.com/radxa/kernel/blob/linux-5.10.y-radxa-zero/arch/arm64/boot/dts/amlogic/meson-g12a-radxa-zero.dts#L223

Then you can run make arch/arm64/boot/dts/amlogic/overlays/radxa-zero-led-8-off.dtbo to build the overlay. You will need to install build-essential, linux-headers, and device-tree-compiler on your system first.

Hi Yuntian,

I’m using the Debian 10, Linux radxa-zero 5.10.165-1-stable that you provided for the ENC28J60 overlay fix. In this version, I cannot get the linux-headers, and device-tree-compile.

Could you please provide the Radxa Zero full image?

Thanks and regards,

You can use this test build for development right now. This is currently using Debian 12 and Linux 6.1. We should release an official version shortly.

Thanks Yutian for the information.
I’ll check the test build.
Regards!

With this image you shouldn’t need to edit the overlay manually.