One step forward

Don’t know why the system doesn’t let me send a PM, i will send to radxa contact email, regards.

When is it going to be on the market?What is the price of this boafd?Hello, I am interested in receiving a sample,how to apply for a free trial?
And what advantages does Rock Pi X have over UP board Intel X86?

Since it is AMI bios, they have an utility program to update or maybe reflash the bios. You must have the soic8 clip and a usb ch341a programmer or similiar.

@jack It’s possible to flash another bios like coreboot?

We provide the tools to flash the BIOS. It’s online now:

https://wiki.radxa.com/RockpiX/downloads

coreboot is not ported to ROCK Pi X at the moment.

When is it going to be on the market?

We expect start massively shipping in 4 weeks.

What is the price of this board?

Model A: 1/2/4GB -> 39/49/65$
Model B: 1/2/4GB -> 49/59/75$

Hello, I am interested in receiving a sample,how to apply for a free trial?

Check my first post. Basically you should have a project ideas and people like it. Be creative :slight_smile:

And what advantages does Rock Pi X have over UP board Intel X86?

Check the price and spec, compare by yourself.

3 Likes

Is there anyway to just reset the NVRAM? Or at least prevent it from being read long enough to boot successfully and reset it? Otherwise this may become a recurring problem.

Also, are there any plans to formally support fwupd?

1 Like

The main difference should be the fpga onboard and emmc, Rock pi X doesn’t have this.But…Rock pi X is the most affordable, up board with 1gb 16 emmc is $99 whilst Rock pi X 1gb is $39, don’t no if the boards will come with emmc but certainly shouldn’t be that expensive :slightly_smiling_face:

I’m interested in paying for a sample. I’m developing a robotic telescope control computer. I’ve been working with the RockPi4C but there are many applications that would make controlling the telescope mount and its associated cameras and focusers easier on x86.

The work I’ve already done from a power distribution perspective with the RockPi4 would likely still be applicable as the power distribution board is mostly independent of the processor type.

Currently when we control telescopes there are many wires going from the telescope, cameras, focusers, guide cameras. These wires are troublesome as the telescope tracks across the sky. If I could move the computer to on-board the telescope mount then the hanging wire problem goes away.

Eager to hear how to get one of these boards in a 4GB RAM configuration.

Got my sample tonight. Compiled a brand new, upstream 5.8.1 kernel for it. It just worked out of the box - got to love x86 software support… not doing that with ARM in most cases!

Power consumption is impressive. It is less than the Atomic Pi I believe based on my initial observations. Generally under 5W… not sure how low it’ll go once power gating USB and some other things.

It does NOT thermal throttle for CPU only workloads (if you are using as a headless server, it will hover around 80C at max). I have not tried GPU workloads yet.

2 Likes

That’s pretty good. Right now my robot electronics (atomic pi, two arduino megas, esp32, laser scanner, and a handful of dc/dc converters) seem to draw about 12W. I haven’t hooked up current sensors on the dc/dc converter outputs yet to see how much is specific to the atomic pi, but it’s on the near-future todo list. Power consumption is critical when running a battery powered robot… obviously.

Whenever I do manage to get my hands on a Rock Pi X, I’ll be able compare the current draws. My robot project might be dead in the water until I get a Rock Pi X because the atomic pi only has one usb port and doesn’t have enough USB bandwidth to support a Kinect and the arduinos. My previous N3150 board consumed too much power, so I wanted to switch to an atom-based board. My laserscanner requires the use of an x86 processor so I can’t substitute in an arm-based box.

What project are you using the sample with?

this shoul be great, really, im really intrested into tying a 4gb model, ( or buying it No matter BT or Wifi. it will serve it purpose conected to my router, and replacing my Pi4 8gb for good. maybe im keeping the sata top hat for the future) im in for a sample or to buy one.

I think there is a problem in the upload of the schematic of rock pi X and the Intel Atom® Processor Z8000 Series Datasheet Vol. 1, they are not avaiable.

The datasheet is available from atomic pi sources, it’s the same processor.

The link is updated and fixed.

https://wiki.radxa.com/RockpiX/hardware

Direct download:

https://dl.radxa.com/rockpix/docs/hw/

Hi Jack,
I’m the OS developer for the Volumio X86 version (Volumio Home pagevolumio.org), which seems to be a perfect fit for the Radxa PI X. Any chance to get an evaluation board?

1 Like

Read the topic I posted, we have the rules, as long as the community likes it, we are happy to send free samples. It’s also kind of commitment for the community that you will not abuse the right.

@jack, any chance the GPIO document to be updated soon? I’m laying out a daughter board, and want to make sure I get the pins correct… As I currently understand it, its similar to the RockPi4…

Also any ill effects of the +5vin to be used as a charge/draw, or can it not be used this way?

2 Likes

The GPIO document is updated. I suggest you refer the schematic for pinout confirmation. The +5V pin is the same as ROCK Pi 4 for sure.

1 Like

Perfect! thanks Jack!