One board boots on nvme, the other does not

We are a startup and have a lot of experience with the rock 4. We are now looking to the rock 5b to add more capability to our integrated product.

I am doing board startup. The SPI flash is programmed using the OTG port, and an armbian (legacy/jammy) image is written to NVME SSD. I had intermittent success on the 1st board I got in for testing. After weeks I bought a second to verify and it turns out it was the board that made the difference.

Both boards seem to be of the same batch: V1.45, 2023.04.25

Could someone from RADXA explain what can be going on here? I am concerned about creating a consistent production process, not about the cost of one board.

I inspected the board and can’t see anything obvious. Changing power supply also does not appear to be a factor. Power consumption is similar, although I am not set up to look at transient spikes.

Thanks!

spi flash… spi flash + radxa spi files kek

after you get one running set up a cron job to reboot every 5 min. see if that works before you go forward . i found the board last year to not be deployable because it cant reboot reliably when booting from nvme. it wouldbe great to know if this changed. I wasted a alot of time on this board.

1 Like