Onboard NIC, bad performance

Hi,

using netcat on the onboard nic i get only about 10mb/s UDP sending performance with high cpu load.

Is there anything we can do to (help) fix this?

What do you want to archive? I think the bottleneck is the CPU? Or you want to improve the network task priority?

1 Like

i would like to see the gigabit nic being able to achieve 1 gigabit in each direction without it causing significant cpu load, especially if it is only a netcat-UDP test without anything. the irq load is way too high also.

no matter which hardware we try in conjunction with the rock3 io board, there seems to be a significant performance problem in the sending/writing direction, be it USB 3 devices, pcie 10gbit nic, pcie 2.5gbit nic or the onboard nic.

Even receiving on a 10gbit link over pcie tops out at 115ish megabytes per second, with one core completely maxed out. Enabling LRO slightly improves performance to 130 megabytes per second and removes cpu load, but this is nowhere near the PCIE link speed, which should be the bottleneck in that case.

This is unsustainable if we want to use it to build any sort of network related device with it.

Sorry for not mentioning that the hardware platform is the ROCK3 CM IO

Lalith has a result of 821Mbits/sec.

The kernel looks like linux-5.16-rc7.
I also want to use the Ver5 kernel, but the procedure seems to be difficult yet, so I can’t try it.