No wifi in radxa-zero-debian-buster-xfce4-arm64-20220602-0403-mbr.img.xz

Hi there,

I’m glad that you guys are improving the software. I love the hardware and I have great faith on its future, but it lacks good software support… So here is my contribution:

Today I flashed the three packages just released a week ago (release 20220602-0249), but with no luck, so you need to improve the software still more if you want to have a nice user base:

-Image for radxa-zero-debian-buster-xfce4-arm64-20220602-0403-mbr.img.xz: No Wifi service in the panel , after verifying with “mncli dev wifi” that all SSIDs were scanned correctly, I tried to connect manually using "nmcli dev wifi connect… " but I’ve got this error:

Error: Connection activation failed: (5) IP configuration could not be reserved (no available address, timeout, etc.).

I tried to run “mncli monitor” but there is no output and I had to cancel the process.

About the other two images that I tested:
- Armbian_22.08.0-trunk_Radxa-zero_bullseye_current_5.10.119_minimal.img.xz: **No desktop.**  Useless.
- Armbian_22.08.0-trunk_Radxa-zero_focal_current_5.10.119_xfce_desktop.img.xz : **Worked but can't start GPARTED after installing it.  Useless.**

UPDATES:
2022-06-17: I’m extremely happy with the Armbian_22.09.0-trunk_Radxa-zero_focal_current_5.1.119_xfce_desktop.img as I’ve been able to install all sort of packages, including games, and even Plex Media Server who runs smoothly and takes just 10% of resources when streaming videos at 720dpi. Impressive little SOC (4GB RAM/ 32GB EMMC), even more attractive than the Raspberry Pi 4B that I have, because its low power consumption in comparison… Now with more frequent releases from Armbian, I think that the Radxa Zero will displace Raspberry Pi 4 B in many respects…
2022-06-13: Armbian_22.08.0-trunk_Radxa-zero_focal_current_5.10.119_xfce_desktop.img.xz : **Reflashed and working nicely. The only thing that I miss is that I can’t initiate a session on Nomachine with any user except root ** Pretty darn good little computer. I’m using it as a main driver, and the performance is acceptable… I even can play some games (Dreamchess, etc.), and watch some youtube videos up to 480dpi with passive cooling… I hope that Armbian will continue to improve to switch completelly from Raspberry zero 2W to Radxa zero… I love it.

This sounds like a router error. It’s supposed to assign an IP address, and it looks like it didn’t do that.

One of the reasons might be that you didn’t type in the SSID exactly right (the names are case sensitive), or you somehow got the password wrong.

I know these suggestions are dumb, but that would be the first thing I would double check.

The reason I know the suggestions are dumb is that it took me three hours to figure this out on my own the first time.

Derp.

1 Like

Oh thanks for your help. Actually, the Wi-Fi is not showing up in the panel. I just tried to get a manual connection with the command line, with no success. Maybe it was a corrupted file, and I will try again in a week or so, because I liked the look and feel of the debian buster desktop.

I reflashed the Armbian_22.09.0-trunk_Radxa-zero_focal_current_5.1.119_xfce_desktop.img and this time GPARTED worked, so I’m pretty happy with that image. I tweeked a little bit the menues with alacarte, and even I was able to install quite a few packages and games on it. Performance is quite decent for being used as main browsing computer… So, as I’m pretty happy playing with this image, I will postopone my play time with the debian-buster image…

Can you tell me your board version (printed below SoC) and wifi module model (etched on the metal shell)?

V1.4

WiFi module : AP 6256 B115300AL 2111

UPDATE: I’m extremely happy with the Armbian_22.09.0-trunk_Radxa-zero_focal_current_5.1.119_xfce_desktop.img as I’ve been able to install all sort of packages, including games, and even Plex Media Server who runs smoothly and takes just 10% of resources when streaming videos at 720dpi. Impressive little SOC (4GB RAM/ 32GB EMMC), even more attractive than the Raspberry Pi 4B that I have, because its low power consumption in comparison… Now with more frequent releases from Armbian, I think that the Radxa Zero will displace Raspberry Pi 4 B in many respects…