Newer kernel version?

Hi,

The “official” debian version seems to be stuck on kernel 5.10. To me it’s only problematic due to lack of options to make m.2 wifi/bt modules work as most drivers require newer kernels to work. Sure, if I plug in an ancient one for 2.4ghz, then that will work, but te point is to get 5 or even 6ghz working as the 5b is quite powerful little board.

Bottom line is, will there be a 5.18+ or even a 6.x? (Or will the board work with a standard 12.x debian arm64 version?)

Likely mainline as very near complete but still a few important items such as the new Panthor drivers for the GPU.

1 Like

This version number is fake. There is no comparison between actual Linux kernel 5.10 and the Rockchip kernel 5.10. They are going to release version 6.1 this year but again, that’s just a marketing name for their fork of linux and it has little to do with mainline Linux.

https://github.com/Joshua-Riek/ubuntu-rockchip/releases/tag/v1.26 is completely true mainline and the info is above. Its not the BSP which is 5.10 and likely will be 6.1 and really an Android kernel backported to Linux.
The RK3588 is very near 100% mainline supported as in the above hardware-enablement support matrix.
Also you can get a very clean and good 5.10 image as https://github.com/Joshua-Riek/ubuntu-rockchip/releases/tag/v1.28

The HDMI is still WIP so is the new mainline Panthor kernel side CFS drivers for the GPU

1 Like

Thanks for the answers, I will keep an eye on these as I probably will switch to mainline once hardware support gets to a working, not rc kernel state. Would be nice to have support for ac/ax m.2 wifi modules that actually work (not only intel as that doesn’t work on 5ghz under any linux distro as far as I know), but I guess getting rk3588 mainline support will be quicker than Radxa hacking it into their version…

2 Likes

Lookie here kids…spot the driver
Host: rock-5b Kernel: 6.5.0-rc2-station-m3-p arch: aarch64 bits: 64 Desktop: GNOME v: 45.0 Distro: Ubuntu 23.10 (Mantic Minotaur) Machine: Type: ARM System: Radxa ROCK 5 Model B Display: wayland server: X.Org v: 1.23.2 with: Xwayland v: 23.2.0 compositor: gnome-shell driver: X: loaded: modesetting dri: rockchip gpu: rockchip_drm,panthor,dwhdmi_rockchip resolution: 1920x1080~60Hz API: OpenGL v: 3.1 Mesa 23.3.0-devel (git-b3cfa8adfd) renderer: Mali-G610 (Panfrost)

1 Like

Experimental Mainline Linux 6.6.0