New 5B Android release stuck on logo

Has anyone been able to get the new Android release for the 5B to boot off eMMC?

https://github.com/radxa/manifests/releases/download/Android12_rkr14_20240419/Rock5B_Android12_rkr14_20240419-gpt.zip

I’ve tried both images and they both don’t get any further than the Rockchip logo.

I’ve tried the previous Android release and that boots to Android from eMMC ok.

I was eventually able to get this image to boot.

The problem appears to be related to USB-C. Previous builds booted fine using an Apple 100W USB-C power supply, however this build must have changed the startup timing and will no longer boot using that power supply - but it doesn’t go into the standard boot loop, it just stops on the Rockchip logo screen.

I also found that booting with a USB C power/data splitter connected (without any cables connected to the splitter) and powered via the GPIO 5V pins, the image would also not boot. It would stop after the first blue LED flash (on the Rockchip logo screen).

So, for me, the best way to start the device with this image was to use 5V via the GPIO pins and only connect the USB-C for ADB debugging after the device had finished booting.

Hopefully this helps someone.

1 Like