M2.ssd will randomly fail to write on rock3a

BTW our latest 3A image is also based on Rockchip 5.10 kernel and have DSI support for our 5 and 8-inch display. Could be an option for you.

Sure!
I use https://redirect.armbian.com/region/EU/rock-3a/Jammy_current_minimal
(or you can visit https://www.armbian.com/rock-3a/ and choose Jammy 6.1 minimal-cli image)

Reproduce steps:

• assemble penta-sata-hat (if you need to use top-board fan or display, you need to enable some overlays on armbian, but it doesnā€™t relate to current issue)
  • create zpool from disks, which installed in sata-hat
  • try to do some IO-intensive stuff

My dmesg: dmesg.zip (23.9 KB)

Thanks for sharing.

Damn, I tested that kernel too(with an earlier Armbian release), also faced the SSD read only issues as well. Although over there, a reboot fixed the filesystem somehow(but I then triggered it again with heavy file I/O)

Ah ok, let me discuss with my boss. Thank you for the advice!

Try this image(Armbian Bookworm with Linux 4.19). Itā€™s one of the ā€˜worstā€™ offenders, I can easily trigger the SSD read only by running sudo apt full-upgrade and then immediately install multiple packages after that sudo apt install nginx php-fpm mariadb-server chromium dnsmasq. If that doesnā€™t trigger the SSD read only yet, I also copied about 200+GB worth of data(many videos of 10-100+MB) into the Rock 3A.

My Rock 3A is flashed with the latest SPI flash image for SSD boot and Iā€™ve attached the M.2 extension board to perform SSD boot(no microSD has been used at all). Iā€™ve tested on both a Rock 3A 8GB(V1.30) and Rock 3A 4GB(V1.31), both face the SSD read only issue(although the V1.30 triggers the issue later on after more file I/Os than the V1.31, so more ā€˜resilientā€™). Iā€™ve also tested two different brands of SSDs, WD SN550 and Crucial P3, both face this SSD read only issue as well. Iā€™ve never experienced this issue with Armbian Bullseye and Linux 5.10(Armbianā€™s fork of the radxa kernel repo)

Ok let me try and get back to you

I use the Raspberry Pi 7inch display, I think it has the same MIPI-DSI bridge chip as your Radxa 5inch touchscreen display? So I should be able to get my touchscreen display working on your b25 image right if I enable the display drivers and DTBO in the kernel?

ROCK 3A bl25 OS includes RPI 7ā€™ā€™ LCD, you can enable it via rsetup.

Any updates on this?

hey? can you share progress?

Then, I will share with mine progress:

I downgraded kernel of armbian (followed armbian-install script way to do that) to legacy and all works fine right now (except apt install zfsutils-linux, cause legacy kernel isnā€™t supported due to android)

Wait by all works fine now, you mean SSD never fails to write again using armbian legacy kernel? Thatā€™s their 5.10 kernel right? Havenā€™t gotten to try any of the patches from Radxa team yet, will try and find time to do so soon and update this thread

I have hdd sata and I had no data reads errors since legacy kernel downgrade

I see, thank you for sharing!