M2.ssd will randomly fail to write on rock3a

What’s the difference between armbian and ubuntu?

So i tried ubuntu. It works great out of the box. No isees whatsoever. However, the nvme does not work correctly. Transferring large files it woll randomlu drop. Then I tried armbian. Also great but no HDMi Support on latest release… Then. I decided to build my own armbian from latest sources but i selected the legacy kernel instead of the bleeding edge kernel. Now armbian works great and hdmi works.

So basically, depending on what your requirements are, you might be stuck with armbian with a legacy kernel for the time being.

Armbian edge is using the mainline bleeding kernel which may not be that stable. But the issue in this post still remains because of hardware I guess.

I got NVME + HDMI to work. The only OS that allows this is Armbian, but you have to compile armbian yourself and use the legacy kernel option.

Everything seems to work perfectly. I have no idea why Armbian would push a release where HDMI doesnt work on the device. Newer kernel cant be considered implemented if the device cant output video.

The debian build radxa has on their firmware release page also works, but cant boot from nvme. (It doesnt mount nvme so it cant find the rootfs) So debian is only OK if you plan to boot from mmc/sdcard only.

What functionality am I losing by using the legacy kernel? What is the sacrifice… speed? It does not feel noticeable different to the bleeding edge kernel

Its not a hardware issue. NVME Issue doesnt happen on Armbian

I still have the problem as described under Ubuntu. I have no experience with Armbian and exclude it for myself. The problem was perfectly described what I have. Only when large files are written to the NVMe, the NVMe crashes or several small files are supposed to be written at the same time.

If this works so well under Armbian, is it not possible to migrate something for Ubuntu? As far as this is concerned, I am already the novice from the village.

Update:
Can everyonehelp us

Hello everyone. I wanted to ask if there has been any progress or even a solution here. I got this board specifically to be able to connect an NVMe drive, and I’m very disappointed that it’s not working now.

1 Like

does this fixed overlays integrated into armbian?

No. This overlay is only for test and it is proved not working.

sad, cause I have rare disk read errors on last armbian (but it still a lot better than on old 4.19 kernel)…
I use rock-3a with penta-hat nor m2 ssd btw

sad, cause I have rare disk read errors on last armbian (but it still a lot better than on old 4.19 kernel)…
I use rock-3a with penta-hat nor m2 ssd btw

@barsikus007 wait you’re running armbian that is which Linux kernel version and which distro? Is it Debian 12 and Linux 5.10 kernel?

@RadxaYuntian are there any updates on this bug? It’s a major issue since my company is using this in end products and we have to rely on Armbian releases with Linux 5.10 kernel in order to have stability, but then DSI touchscreen displays don’t work(but we need them). On any release with Linux 4.19 kernel, I can trigger read-only SSD just by doing normal tasks like running apt update or copying large files. Even Linux 5.10 can face the same read-only SSD issues if I run Debian 12(Armbian). I also tested Armbian edge(Debian 12) with Linux 6.1 and I can still trigger the SSD read-only issue. DSI touchscreen displays only work with Linux 4.19 at the moment, so I’m stuck here: either I have touchscreen displays working, or I have my SSD working(on an old Debian release, 11)

There are some patches for this issue from rockchip, we will test and give you a reply asap.

1 Like

I have Armbian 23.8.1 Jammy with Linux 6.1.50-current-rockchip64 (I use ubuntu instead of debian)

I could bring my dmesg logs if it helps with troubleshooting.

Hi, I’m trying to reproduce the issue. Please show me the system image download link. And the reproduce steps.

Can you show me the os download link, reproduce steps and the dmesgs logs?

I add some patches for rk356x pcie.

Can you check if your OS 4.19 kernel tree have these pcie related commits? If not, please try to add them to your os and test it if this solves your issue.

1 Like

Strange is that you even think to rely your business on vendor creations powered by Rockchip Android kernel. Hardware things works as first impression matters, but everything else is a problem, also this comes by default. No, nobody deals with this kind of problems as there are too many on the level you have problems with.

Main downside of upstream kernel based sw support is lack of certain chip specific functions that nobody ported them yet, but you have other things in order. If you need a working display or stable ssd operation, but you want to skip begging for money on forums, consider supporting Armbian and they will help you. “Free” support that comes with hw sales will costs you a lot of time and will never really work well. Someday you will want a new kernel and new upstream version, which is far beyond what hw vendors do.

What touchscreen display do you use?