Let's Get WideVine Working

nice

finaly something usefull and not outdated

:+1:

and android is not that usefull in this, it does it diffrent as linux with widevine .

sure amazingfate can apply such thing :wink:

You almost had this killed so shut up it wasnt thanks to you moron.

hey noob , your old links are sure not usefull , and can’t you polute the rasberry community with noob answers .

and again a fantasy of yours ?, your having the bad habit to call things wich are not in the issue when you get argued .

where did i ask for a thanks ?!

i an not as you to claim things wich i didn’t do

and with or without this useless topic it was already being fixed

I would like to know where did that happened cause I usually give my references and credits.

Im not gonna keep this bs… This is pointless and you should stop dragging the forum to the mud with pointless observations as you feel pleased by disrespecting members who are trying to get help.

who is dragging what :rofl:

and i only disrespect people who dont have respect like you for example.

i just made him aware why it was useless what he was doing perhaps not polite enough .

Stellar work @amazingfate!! :clap: :clap: :clap:

This is all good on the chromium-browser you compiled:

Along with vivaldi:

Note: for vivaldi, simply symlink to the chromium lib:
sudo ln -sf /usr/lib/chromium-browser/WidevineCdm/ /opt/vivaldi/

I tested a symlink to the firefox profile folder as gmp-widevine without success. I’ll update this thread when that’s working.

After update and upgrade, I also needed to apt install:

libwidevinecdm
rockchip-multimedia-config

To document in case others encounter this, at first it wasn’t working even after a reboot, so I also uninstalled the other chromium on the system:
snap remove chromium
and reinstalled @amazingfate’s chromium:
apt reinstall chromium-browser

Testing on https://demo.castlabs.com/ was successful. Then confirmed for Amazon Video.

As noted in the ArchLinux widevine thread, the user agent has to be updated to work on Netflix. I edited my start-up shortcut to include:
--user-agent="Mozilla/5.0 (X11; CrOS aarch64 15236.80.0) AppleWebKit/537.36 (KHTML, like Gecko) Chrome/110.0.0.0 Safari/537.36"
or alternately that could be included in terminal.

For some metrics, cpu load:
@720p60 is 20-30%
@1080p60 is 30-40%

Thank you @RadxaYuntian, I had dug around many repos including android before posting this thread.

@thc013, please delete your comments above. They do nothing to add to the discourse. @DarkevilPT, please also delete your responses to thc013 in turn.

Let’s all remember, we’re here to collaborate and find solutions :wink:

3 Likes

For the startup, another way to include the user agent flag is to create a file:
/etc/chromium-browser/customizations/rock5b-widevine-compatible-user-agent
with contents:
set -- "--user-agent=Mozilla/5.0 (X11; CrOS armv7l 6946.63.0) AppleWebKit/537.36 (KHTML, like Gecko) Chrome/73.0.3683.75 Safari/537.36" "$@"

2 Likes

I did read Secure Boot on Rock 5B (and also other articles on ARM TrustZone) and I’m wondering wether widevine requires secure boot on Rock 5B.

Hi @stylon,

I’ve not been using secure boot on my 5B and widevine is working well!

Our tv is only 720p, though, so we’re not chasing FHD or 4k output.

Cheers :beers:

Hi @linuxlion,

thank you for your answer.

I did suspect already that some may run Widevine without, given that this thread contains an unexpected 0 words about secure boot which doesn’t seem straight-forward to set up. However, this still surprises me as I thought DRM cryptography must be executed in ARMs TrustZone. Unless the HDMI interface gets configured for HDCP, I doubt that Widevine uses DRM at all.

I smell that maybe only content >720p is protected by DRM these days?

Best,
stylon

Hi,
This package works great on Arch Linux and widevine works even at 1080p via chromium.

Hi @stylon,

I tested a variety of platforms (including Netflix, Amazon Video, YoutubeTV). DRM content would not play regardless of quality until installing @amazingfate’s updated packages.

It does appear the streaming services above and test site previously linked indicate FHD drm is working without secure boot: https://demo.castlabs.com/

If you’re running a 4k tv/monitor, please install and report back with your DRM resolution results?

Much appreciated :grin:

To follow-up on this, it looks like libwidevinecdm is no longer working and causing Chromium and Vivaldi to seg fault then core dump. Looking into alternate arm64 versions to re-enable DRM for the Rock5.

The WideVineCDM available from the above package is still the same as on amd64 at version: 4.10.2557.0

For now, to resume using chromium, the libwidevinecdm package can be removed.

1 Like

I’ve been away for work, however today I reinstalled libwidevinecdm and it DRM content is again accessible. It looks like @amazingfate updated the packaged. Thanks again for your work on this!

1 Like

Is it possible to use this solution on a Rock 4? Currently running basic Debian but I’m option to other distros if it’ll allow widevine.
Have tried to use @amazingfate 's build but

E: The repository 'http://ppa.launchpad.net/liujianfeng1994/rockchip-multime
dia/ubuntu noble Release' does not have a Release file.
N: Updating from such a repository can't be done securely, and is therefore
disabled by default.

noble is not supported, use jammy.

Thank you for quick reply! (and sorry for posting Rock4 question i Rock5 section, didn’t notice until too late)

Noob-warning: How do I do that? I added and uptade the repo ppa:liujianfeng1994/rockchip-multimedia, do I need to change OS or repo or other? (I’m guessing OS, but not sure…?)

Use a ubuntu 22.04 image.

Will do, thanks!