Issues with jmb585 Sata adapter

Hello,

I’ve seen from some older posts that some people seem to be having a similiar issue that I’m having here, but the fixes presented in the older posts do not appear to be working on my end.

I have the board plugged into the top m.2 connector using a ribbon adapter. When I first installed the card it appeared under LSPCI but I hadnt been able to detect any drives.

Afterwards, I noticed that I likely had to make some changes to the overlays in order to get the card to read properly, and enabled the sata overlays in my Armbian config but now the device doesnt even appear in lspci.

I’m not exactly sure what I’m missing here.

Thanks!

What changes you tried to do? If the one that is for native sata then it’s not right one.
This card should just work with right kernel.

The work arounds posted here:

The card I’m using is this card https://www.amazon.com/dp/B09N8MCDTZ?psc=1&ref=ppx_yo2ov_dt_b_product_details

yeah then you dont get how it works

there is a sata adapter for the top m2 slot but that is CUSTOM, and not standard m2 configuration. and for that custom pcb you need the sata dts change

and the top m2 slot is more for a wifi card as for a hhd card , just connect the card to the bottom pcie

and remove you wrong doings.

Just like I suspected and thc013 explained.
On top m.2 e slot with that overlay you could run this custom m.2 card to get native sata:

It will change output of m.2 e slot so it’s no longer pcie. You are using pcie card there so after that change it wont work. Just undo Your changes to get device back, then focus on drivers/kernel to get it to work. This overlay is not driver to any sata for rock5 (and few other boards) but this particular card (which is $1.5) btw.

Ah, understandable.

I was under the impression that the overlay allowed the top m.2 slot to pass the sata pins along to the card being presented to it; not that it was intended exclusively for that single custom card.

Unfortunately even after reinstalling Armbian for a fresh start, I am still unable to get the device to appear in a workable condition… but I do still have it plugged into that top m.2 position, so is that just not physically possible to achieve here?

Pcie and m.2 devices and their underlying functionalities are way outside my realms of expertise outside of the plug and play aspects of the modern x86 landscape haha.

I’d like to be able to utilize both m.2 slots so I can continue using an nvme boot device for the greater performance, while being able to use the sata breakout to run additional hdds for storage purposes. Is this just not a feasible option currently?

Thanks!

it is possible only you would first check if your card has the right connection

the card is a so called m-key variant which can be sata or pcie so that is what you have to figure out .

and the top m2 is a e-key variant so you would need to search for a e-key variant .

Gotcha!

That makes total sense now; I’ve been using a ribbon adapter that converts the e key to m key and didn’t think anything of it in terms of possible incompatibilities.

Thanks for talking some sense into me haha

This one is working in e slot.

Also there are some e to b+m adapters, but haven’t tested such yet
Also it should be possible to run sata multiplier with that custom sata card with overlay, I already got it but not tried yet

1 Like

could you please provide a link to this product ?

Thanks

Mine was from aliexpress, probably You can easily find very similar in local shops, just try m.2 a+e sata card, maybe with this jmb chip name.
Here is example: https://www.amazon.com/IO-CREST-Ports-JMicron-JMB582/dp/B08S2PBB7J
there are also bit more expensive and longer cards with 4 sata ports

1 Like

Hi, i want install DSM7.1 on my J3455-ITX with M.2 to sata extension (works fine on 6.2.3) but i cant :(I have mapped 2+2+2 SATA, like below, but when im tryingin install DSM, on 58-60% i have error that my file is broken and i cant continue :frowning:

tc@box:~$ ./rploader.sh satamap nowFound “00:12.0 Intel Corporation Celeron N3350/Pentium N4200/Atom E3900 Series SATA AHCI Controller (rev 0b)” Detected 2 ports/2 drives.Override # of ports or ENTER to accept <2>

Found “02:00.0 JMicron Technology Corp. Device 0585” Detected 5 ports/2 drives. Bad ports: 3 4 5. Override # of ports or ENTER to accept <5> 2

Found “03:00.0 ASMedia Technology Inc. ASM1062 Serial ATA Controller (rev 02)” Detected 2 ports/2 drives. Override # of ports or ENTER to accept <2> Computed settings: SataPortMap=222 DiskIdxMap=000204

This is unrelated to our product. Please visit Xpenology community for your question.