Issues with data transfer speed and disk temperature

Hi everyone,

I’ve been using the quad sata kit on a raspberry pi 4 8gb model and so far I’m happy with it.
Still, there are some things that are still bothering me and I can’t find a way to fix that on my own.

I’m using four wd red 1tb disks in a raid5. I’ve installed OMV5 and whenever I want to transfer something with samba, the transfer rate has a maximum of 10 to 11 mb/s. Is there a way to increase the transfer rate?

Also, I would like to keep track of the disk temperatures. As mentioned in the forum, the problem with the temperature display can be solved with the firmware update. Since this is not yet recommended, I wanted to solve the problem with smartctl. That, in turn, doesn’t work either and I get the following message:

SMART support is: Available - device has SMART capability.
SMART support is: Enabled

SMART Status not supported: Incomplete response, ATA output registers missing

Could this be due to the usb bridge? Or is there an update to the firmware issue?

Thank you!

Hello, after the firmware update should be able to display S.M.A.R.T. information correctly.

With Samba, you won’t see the full disk transfer speed because you are limited by your network. If you want to see full disk speed you need to look at local disk transfer speeds. sudo hdparm -t /dev/sda1

@setq Thanks for the update

@5ft24 Didn’t know that tanks! I kinda new to all of this stuff. Apperently there is someone else having troubles with the transfer speed in this post.
I tried

with the result of 110 MB/sec for all four disks. I’m using an ethernet cable on my server and the computer which is transferring data on it. Has it to do with the bandwidth of my provider? Or is there a way to find the bottleneck?

If hdparm is giving you 110MB/sec that is the actual transfer rate and no network involved. What kind of drives are they?