Introduce the Radxa Zero

Should we expect this to be faster | same | slower running android or twisterOS for desktop experience than the same installs on a raspberry pi 4 with 8gb?

How far out are we from being able to purchase and try?

Rpi have 4 x A72 core. Which this hsce 4 x A55 cores. There is no comparison in performance but graphic performance will be better using panfrost.

1 Like

Thanks for calling out the cpu spec differences that will lead to rpi4 having better cpu performance.

On the graphic front is applying panfrost driver stack for opengl support going to make for better performance on radxa zero than rpi4 because radax has arm mali g31 mp2 that driver stack supports vs rpi4 broadcom videocore vi which is not supported by that driver stack and so no opengl support?

If you want a faster TwisterOS desktop experience, you should be looking at RockPi4B+ instead (NVMe booting w/ 1.7Gb/s reading speeds and great I/O). You will get a much faster desktop performance when OCing RockPi4B+ to 2.2Ghz/1.8Ghz that will smoke any OC’d Rpi4 8Gb running from USB3 SSD/NVMe(420Mb/s I/O bandwidth limit).

Radxa Zero is a great all-around-device with lots of potencial, but as a relatively new product, still needs some improvements/tweakings/patches on the software side, meaning it will get better in terms of general desktop performance.

1 Like

Is it a full-fledged usb interface for camera or other stuff or cutted version like in google coral board mini?
Any benchmarks or tests was done officially so far?

I did some general benchmarks of phoronix tests against raspberry pi, it was closer to a Pi4 than I expected.

1st 2 I did on Twister and did not notice frequitils was installed and maxing cpu to 1.5Ghz

The later tests run at 1.8 and a OC of 2.0Ghz

I guess we could set it in dongle mode and create a ram drive and copy over a file to test the USB3.0 I have a hunch because it was primarily a set top box dongle in a range of set top boxes that it will be somewhere near full USB3.0 bandwidth.
The usb3.0 is the OTG & power though and the one you might use is usb2.0. Prob so you get the 900ma but means the spare ports has less bandwidth ( 1920x1080 images at 24fps max)

1 Like

Thanks for details on the alternative better performing sbc option for twisterOS [ or lineage android ] desktop use case.

So are we talking about what is reviewed in this youtu.be/KBOpFEo4lbM jun 17, 2021 video that references this amazon.com/dp/B095LGKP5J link as a place to buy it?

It appears to only sell with 4GB ram should one hold out for a 8GB ram sku?

Is the expectation that you purchase it along with a m.2 2230 or 2242 nvme device to get the fastest boot and storage solution?

RK3399 only supports 4Gb of RAM Maximum. Only 2280 NVMe is supported on 4B+.

1 Like

Thanks for clarifications. Interesting that 2280 is required, i would have thought so long as the storage device was m.2 nvme 22mm wide interface the 30, 42 or 80mm length of the card makes no difference.

Is 4GB of ram going to be all you really need for twister os desktop browser mostly use case vs the 8GB suggested by skus available with rp4 offering?

Reading https://rockpi.org/rockpi4 page it says this device gets a geekbench 5 single core of 1347 and multicore of 3024. Is that for real with standard issue device setup or am i overlooking something? I ask because my lenovo laptops with Intel Core i7-8650U 2.1GHz and Intel Core i5-8365U 1.9GHz don’t get those numbers.

4Gb of RAM is enough to run TwisterOS Armbian. If you need 8Gb of RAM on an ARM SBC, you should look for Rock 3A, Rock3B or upcoming RockPi5(RK3588). it will take a few more months to have TwisterOS ready for RK3566/RK3568.

1 Like

Thanks for the input on the 4GB ram and details of higher memory alternatives and upcoming releases. Wondering if we’ll see one of these upcoming sbc offerings deliver a thunderbolt 4 port so you can single cable power device and connect display and usb hub in display. In terms of what is currently available is the rock pi 4b+ a newer / better offering than the rock pi 4c?

I think Intel/Apple are keeping Thunderbolt to themselves even AMD systems don’t have thunderbolt so unlikely to see it on a non Apple Arm device.
I think that is right as you see thunderbolt on Intel Nucs but not on the AMD ones and think is all due to licencing.
Its confusing but if it will be USB4, what it can do and if its capable.

1 Like

什么时候国内开始卖的?有没有可能支持Windows10?

Two questions:

1. When will it be available to the public? myusrn asked this a little while ago but I don’t think they got an answer.
  2. I am a big fan of using g_ether and OTG capability to ssh into SBCs and share internet to them that way. There’s great guides of doing this with the RPI 0, RPI 4, and on numerous Armbian platforms but has anyone managed it with the Radxa Zero? What worries me more than anything is it’s power consumption which might preclude it from being powered via a single USB C port at all (though I could always use something like a PiSugar2 in that case since I believe the Radxa’s GPIO pinout is equivalent to the Pi’s and simply use the USB for the ethernet gadget functionality).
1 Like

No Windows 10 support as far as I know.

Haven’t tried the kernel g_ether OTG yet but presume it works as by pressing usb boot when applying power from a usb3.0 port you can access the device.

As in

USB 3.0 is 4.5 watt (5v * 0.9 amp) the TDP is 5watt so its close but that is a max

Hello Zero users from Manjaro,

Manjaro Image coming soon for USB boot.

KDE-Plasma

Tested so far
Working:
USB Boot
HDMI Output
HDMI Audio.
GPU using Panfrost.

Not working:
SD Boot using Android on eMMC.
Wifi/Bluetooth. (Patch is available will be added soon)

4 Likes

TwisterOS Beta4 for Radxa Zero:
https://drive.google.com/file/d/1aqB7A_EuLGvL7pR8LhP6RatikxvJyy6i/view?usp=sharing

Change log for Beta4:

• bumped to armbian focal 21.08.0 trunk (same version as official from radxa)
  • switch from testing dtb (rock pi w2) to official dtb radxa zero,armbian see the board now as radxa zero
  • you can install now upcoming patches via apt
2 Likes

Hi,

I noticed you have 2.0Ghz there but standard DTB is 1.8 with cpufrequtils default to 1.5
Did I hit the silicon lottery or did you find it not stable?

Also still playing with emuelec but the panfrost drivers seem faster as if you watch the ETA Prime he uses ‘crazy taxi 2’ as an example a game struggling with FPS whilst its mainly 60+ with a few dips below on twister os with the oibas ppa panfrost drivers.

https://shop.allnetchina.cn/
这儿能买,国内发货美金结算,运费真贵