Introduce ROCK 5B - ARM Desktop level SBC

Yeah if you ignore the angst of not being paid then very likely but with a total brand new soc there is a chance for revision / software problems that may not be resolved as with honesty that is something that could happen.
If it will happen at this early stage no-one can tell but where Rockchip seem to be positioning this board and how much is based on experience from before as the Google Op1 collaboration was a big step for rockchip it does look extremely promising and that is all you can honestly say.

there will be financial construct behind. The rest is pointless to discuss. If our support terms are not ok, Google or switch to vendor that understand that support is valuable asset.

You donā€™t need our help but most of people that buys those boards and Linux users in general arenā€™t close. We canā€™t fund their education and their level of not understanding. More than we already lost. 50 h per day.

Collabora yearly budget is on my very fast and rough estimated at least 30 mio EUR. But its probably a lot more. I am flattered that you compare 100+ people company with Armbian :wink:

End user support, which Collabora is not wasting money for, is our biggest blow which we have no way to compensate.

That is why I am slightly bemused you keep posting your angst about it in a board forum that you are not supporting or will be.

3 Likes

Most of the poeple in this thread will also not supporting anything. You are also not providing any software support. Am I right? And we are both clarifying things people doesnā€™t understand. Some are technical some are not.

1 Like

I am purely a end user warning some of the noobs that opensource hardware and releases can take time but I am not making wild fantastic claims it will be obselete before that happens.
If I can I also post any software info I can as my interest has been perked by what looks a very interesting new board.
I will prob start posting with the Radxa Zero 2 that I hear is in the wings as those tiny format boards are always interesting.

Rockchip are working with Collabora and Collabora provide services you just can not supply of driver and kernel fixes so mainline works for all, being Linux hackers than merely scripters.
With Rockchip working with Collabora it makes sense if economical for Radxa to do also and likely why they are / might be as they are also working with Rockchip to a certain extent.
We shall see how the rk356x works out but so far things look extremely well purely from the quantity of submissions to kernel.org as I have actually skipped those boards.

Think. That ā€œfanatismā€ is easy to clarify. Many popular devices out there proves that - Pinephone v1 (flagship of linux phones) and basically all RK3399 devices which still donā€™t have working VPU support while are otherwise in almost perfect conditon - old technology and not very competitive or interesting.

But things are changing on better, just the speed is hard to estimate. Also chip crisis helps since HW delivery will be significantly delayed.

Hi,
Can you please help me?
How about using Rock 3 b board as a fully supported board?

Thanks in advance

Any chance to see a compute module with RK3588 too?

Not RK3588 as apparently its too big for the format but RK3588s which is has the same core but minus a few things is being looked at as mentioned earlier in the thread.

Sounds great! Thanks.

Have you seen the firefly station m2 case? Will the case be similar?

1 Like

I presume they will make something similar with a simple pressed metal case.
Might be a bit taller for fan and vented but expecting something like that.

They may even buy something already existing and supply panels
https://www.vesalia.de/e_dl431dv.htm

Only one thing and its not the case but would effect the case is to not have onboard switches and have jumpers like a normal mobo that can be wired switches.
Keep mentioning that as hoping it might happen in the release revision.

too curious not toā€¦:
preordered :wink:

Igorp

This is not a attack, I am trying to help, sadly I suspect it will not be heard.

Armbians problems are many, but big tasks need a start somewhere, to get resolved.

Armbian is a good product and a company with a flawed business / operating model .

Armbiam has bad end user, customer relationship skills,.

Armbian has contemp very common in software programming due to how programmers have been taught, for for software, hardware end users, very common in software programming, due to how programmers have been taught.

Now I expect you disregard, dismiss, what I have written. I openly tell you I am no hardware, software engineer.

What use are my words? I am a fresh set of eyes, i see outside the box, way you are thinking in, You are to close to the problem, and to engrained, stuck in your way of operation.

Your outlook on the problems and your way of business needs to evolve to survive.

1 Like

Can the onboard switches of the Rock5 be replaced with more normal mobo jumpers to enable wired switches and flexibility with cases :slight_smile:

In business and in life you have to trust and sometimes people abuse that trust. No business model will save you from that.

Looking so forward to this! :grinning: Can we support driver development somehow?
I hope there will also be a passive cooling case available at some point, then it would be perfect.

Btw: Any power consumption estimates for idle and full load?
BtwĀ²: Is AES supported/accelerated by the chipset?

I think its very Chicken & Egg with this one as apart from Rockchip EVB boards there is a lack of hardware to develop on.
Also much is dependent on Rockchip as they seem to be taking a proactive stance in driver development and guess people are waiting in the wings to see which way this proceeds.
Mali is Mesa work often by Collabora with there amazing panfrost work where in 2.2 its looking like we also have full 1.3 Vulkan and Vallhall is still being worked on but will be available in bleeding edge rolling releases.

The capabilities are in the datasheet and its what the SoC provides not radxa if working drivers are available.
Cnxsoft published the datasheet a while back https://www.cnx-software.com/2021/12/16/rockchip-rk3588-datasheet-sbc-coming-soon/

But datasheet is here https://www.cnx-software.com/pdf/RockchipĀ RK3588Ā DatasheetĀ V0.1-20210727.pdf but in that article for now.

Secure System
ļ® Embedded two cipher engine
ļµ Support Link List Item (LLI) DMA transfer
ļµ Support SHA-1, SHA-256/224, SHA-512/384, MD5, SM3 with hardware padding
ļµ Support HMAC of SHA-1, SHA-256, SHA-512, MD5, SM3 with hardware padding
ļµ Support AES-128, AES-192, AES-256 encrypt & decrypt cipher
ļµ Support AES ECB/CBC/OFB/CFB/CTR/CTS/XTS/CCM/GCM/CBC-MAC/CMAC
mode
RK3588 Datasheet Rev 0.1
Copyright 2021 Ā©Rockchip Electronics Co., Ltd. 10
ļµ Support SM4 ECB/CBC/OFB/CFB/CTR/CTS/XTS/CCM/GCM/CBC-MAC/CMAC
mode
ļµ Support DES & TDES cipher, with ECB/CBC/OFB/CFB mode
ļµ Support up to 4096 bits PKA mathematical operations for RSA/ECC/SM2
ļµ Support generating random numbers
ļ® Support keyladder to guarantee key secure
ļ® Support data scrambling for all DDR types
ļ® Support secure OTP
ļ® Support secure debug
ļ® Support secure DFT test
ļ® Support secure OS
ļ® Except CPU, the other masters in the SoC can also support security and nonsecurity mode by software-programmable
ļ® Some slave components in SoC can only be addressed by security master and the
other slave components can be addressed by security master or non-security
master by software-programmable
ļ® System SRAM(share memory), part of space is addressed only in security mode
ļ® External DDR space can be divided into 16 parts, each part can be softwareprogrammable to be enabled by each master

1 Like

More information about the board is in another topic

2 Likes

How do you get notified that the board is available for purchase?