Introduce ROCK 5B - ARM Desktop level SBC

i got my preorder on ameridroid also for the 16gb rock 5b at 1.july

New here, ordered my coupon back on January 27, my unit was shipped October 21. It’s in transit here to the US. My goals are to use the 5B as a desktop replacement, but most of all, experiment, learn, and have fun.

I’ll be connecting to a gigabyte M32U 4k monitor and hoping that it’s USB-C port will provide enough power (28W-9v@1.5A) to run the 5B.

both will be 16gb

oh cool i hope they come out with 32gb versions

Can’t power it with my 12 watt apple charger so far… :cold_sweat:

1 Like

i think your problem is for thes thread: Rock5 does not work on most PD power supplies

thx already found it, other question whats the standard password for debian? rock : rock is not working…

I really really really hope that’s not the only case we have available to put the Rock 5B in, because I don’t like open cases whatsoever. I want an option to close completely the board, black or white if possible, like any other board in the market.

I hope by the time I get my coupon I can order it :slight_smile:

@tkaiser could you, or somebody else in the know, please kindly provide some details about Rock 5A? What form-factor and IO does this board have?

Me also both 16 GB versions. One to use as Retropie/Kodi box the other as a 24/7 server(Nextcloud, torrent server, newsgroup server, gitlab server, awx (CI/CD), database server (MariaDB), vscode server, radius server, log server). In the future planning to separate a lot of these functions in to two SBC. The current situation my Raspberry pi 4 8 GB doesnt have enough CPU cores and RAM to handle the load.

I got my email from allnet, but when I calculated the real price in $Aus I won’t be getting mine. The exchange rate has slipped way past my budget.
I don’t have the time to play with an expensive, half cooked board. Plastic case wouldn’t even line up with a fan/heatsink.

are you using the official debian?

I am using the Debian from rock.sh/start5b

please open a new thread
and try armbian: https://www.armbian.com/rock-5b/
untill the thread for the password/username is solved

rock/rock is working perfectly

yes but he says it doesnt work

Its rock:rock user:password

i know it is on the radxa site but he sais it didnt work

It does or we would all be saying. He has a wrong image or there is another fault. Or doing something simple such as Caps lock.

I received my unit yesterday and just got around testing it. (on 20221024 build of Debian)

NVMe boot works (after flashing SPI as guided) and USB PD negotiation seems to work (shows 20V-3.25A on my 65W adapter).

However, I noticed the read/write speed on my NVMe is rather low at 750+MB/s, even though it is capable of 3000MB/s as I’ve tested it before on another machine.

Also, renderer is on llvmpipe, so I suppose there’s no hardware accelerated graphics? (Can see cursor flickering a lot, and window border artifacting) Likewise, video playback off of the included Chromium build is also not HW-accelerated.

Am I missing something here, like setting up of GPU driver or something? Or is working on the older Deb image listed on the Download page? Apologies, as I don’t really have much time to test right now, so thought to ask first.