Introduce ROCK 5B - ARM Desktop level SBC

Just use tape or pads as the difference you will see with thermal paste will likely not make a jot of difference.

thats right but i have no thermal pads if i glue it on with hotglue and use thermalpaste i dont have to order something extra

Guess you could, I would just do as I have done, but prob would be adverse to daubing qty’s of hot glue over my nice and shiny new sbc :slight_smile:

it wouldnt be as pretty but it isnt a artwork it is a computer (not a mac)

Yeah as said each to there own, I am just not into daubing a load of hotglue over the components either and trying to keep it in sensible realms of warranty.
I am a champion bodger but that is veering to what my ocd would consider a nasty solution.

Is on its way in form of a metal enclosure passively dissipating the heat away. Since using a fan with RK3588 is so weird…

cool i think i will buy that case when it comes out

Can anyone say how many watts this board pulls in idle and under full load? Couldn’t find anything in my quick search. Thanks.

rock 5b idle wattage in google gives 1st entry https://www.cnx-software.com/2022/07/20/rock-5b-rk3588-sbc-preview-what-works-what-doesnt-in-debian-11/

But @tkaiser has a mass of data on various power consumption

1 Like

warning thats an early sample rock 5b

Both numbers depend on

• settings (which vary over time since software support is still WiP)
  • connected ‘peripherals’ (like a Wi-Fi card)
  • use cases (some people use boards like Rock 5B only headless, others only with display, keyboard and mouse connected)

And ‘full load’ is relative. You can get 100% CPU utilization on all cores with rather lightweight tasks while you can generate twice the ‘full load’ consumption with really demanding tasks that show a lower CPU utilization (stuff @NicoD most probably will never understand).

And then RK3588 is more than eight CPU cores since there’s also a capable GPU and NPU and VPU and ISP inside the package. AFAIK so far nobody has measured real ‘full load’ with all SoC engines being ‘fully loaded’.

That being said some use case / CPU numbers here.

1 Like

Pre-order discount for 8GB version ordered from Allnet on 14 Feb, received coupon 19 Oct.

good to know they are moving forward, mine is 20th april from Allnet. looking forward to receive order link.

yea mine is from ameridroid 1 june i am realy ecxited

1 Like

@ameriDroid, any update on when you’ll be receiving stock from the manufacturer to fulfill your preorders?

Order placed 20 Oct, shipment notification with tracking number 22 Oct.

For everyone waiting on their coupon order from allnet china. Was able to place my order for my coupon from march 18th.
8gb version

1 Like

from ameridroid or allnet?

It’s a bit surprising there’s no YouTube review about this board yet, have only so few people received it?
My shipment tracking link also doesn’t seem to work, it says something around the lines of package not found.

2 Likes

there are now two reviews on youtube one published 2 hours ago on youtube the new one: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YfK0DR_rG78 and the old one: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=M8PPmQBYv_8

2 Likes