Introduce ROCK 5B - ARM Desktop level SBC

Do we have access to the kernel tree?

It’s standard m.2 E key, pcie/usb/uart etc.

1 Like

Yahooo! That’s great news! Is there any plans regarding modification of current SATA hat for this sbc?

2 Likes

Amazing news. Looking forward for the 16GB RAM Rock5B board.

Oh my god. I didn’t expect to see him so early, but I’m already running to order 16GB version.:grinning:

While the above will be maintained through EOY 2026, we’ll hopefully also see support for the 5.15 LTS kernel given the problems with KVM support on current ARM64 SBC w/ kernel 5.10.x (x>7) which forced me to switch to v5.13/v5.14 as LXD wasn’t able to get VMs to start any more. (I still wonder what went wrong there.)

@hipboi
I just reserved my rk3588, can you allow access to your kernel source tree for the rk3588?
By the way, i created a PR to SDL in order to have 3D hw accel and would be interesting to know what mali dev is present and if it will be useful for this platform.

1 Like

Very excited for this! The specs look really good! Will you be providing Android images for this? Also will you be sending out early samples to developers and reviewers again like you did with the Rock Pi X?

Cool, and I’d placed my $5 for 16GB already :slight_smile:
Hopefully I can play with it much more than my Pi 4 (4GB), which is lacking here and there…
And it also gives me reason(s) to upgrade my desktop SSD :stuck_out_tongue:

When it is out, pls. make sure it would come with a reasonable heatsink, hopefully just like the “armor” fanless one with Pi.

1 Like

What about PCIe is it finnaly possible to connect and USE big GPU cards ?

2 Likes

place bought reedem code 16gb!

Is the first batch already sold out?

if not, when is it sold start in pre-order ?

Great news, I can’t wait to get it as soon as they will be available!
It’s great successor for nano-pc t4 board which is best rk3399 IMHO, but with only 4GB RAM :frowning: This one is far better than anything :slight_smile:

I see that m.2 E is only 1x pcie lane, still google dual edge tpu won’t work, but there is 6T NPU.

Why buster and not bullseye?

3 Likes

This is really nice news! Also your comment on cnx-software about manufacturing in the EU would make future products a lot more accessible to me :+1:

I preordered for the 16Gb. A lot of things tick the box for me, more RAM, NPU, 2.5GbE, PoE

I have a Helios64 NAS running on the RK3399 that runs a few docker containers including photoprism. Since it uses tensorflow for family photos, 4Gb on that device is a bit limited. Having an NPU on the Rock 5 would be interesting to offload the tensorflow tasks instead of thrashing the CPU.

Since it also has a 2.5GbE NIC, the Rock 5 model B and the Helios64 would be a great combination.

Would there be a way to add a mini UPS on the Rock 5? That would make a nice ecosystem.

I think there is still no G610 support under bifrost so maybe some samples to Alyssa Rosenzweig & the Mesa crew might be wise as its got a mighty GPU x10 RK3399 perf but no driver :confused:

2 Likes

Big heatsink required.

1 Like

Not really. Some test revealed that rk3588 runs quite cool so just a normal size heatsink should be enough.

Eh, would be greater to have additional pcie 2.1 for 10G sfp+ adapter, but oh well

This tiny board is a real monster. Can’t wait to get it.

I ordered a 8mb redeem from allnet china but do realise the RK3588 is supposedly a very complex chip.
Hopefully Radxa will provide thier own build root and support an image but likely this will be a long process as will be GPU support.

Still though for me this has the potential to be the 1st real ‘desktop’ as yeah I know I will get a ton of replies say Pi0 is a great desktop but for me even a Pi4 really is not a good desktop experience.
The GPU in this thing is a monster, it is a monster of a SBC but wouldn’t be surprised if it could take a year or 2 of frustration before a working DTS fully functional driver solution is in the making.

The redeem code is a great budget way for early adopters and presume that gives Radxa some helping revenue to get a 1st revision on the move.

Also I like the format with no crazy m.2 FFC and daughter board mallarky.

1 Like

I would say by looking at the x2 diagonal mounting holes round the CPU a reasonable heatsink is already being designed, that are those 3 pin fan headers on the edge of the board so its active and maybe not the biggest heatsink in the world, but bigger than a Pi stick on I expect.