Introduce ROCK 5 Model B - ARM Desktop level SBC

Not really compared to some other boards as its been pretty plain sailing with what was available a Rockchip BSP image.
The Debug Party is what it is and its going to scrutinise and exchange solutions and opinion, all your seeing is a fresh SoC with a Board Support Package and things are looking good.
The community and party have quite a range of neural diversity but is no reflection on the board.

1-3 months might be optimistic for a complete mainline but maybe someone might backport and hack out the current BPS, but it can often be a lotto of getting submissions in a kernel release to how fast things proceed. The Collabora folks might still be doing some final tidy-up with the m2 but hopefully the RK3588 will start getting some attention, but for me things are looking extremely good.

I don’t even think there is a PD problem with the board its just some of the cheaper PD models are a little more lose with the standard but as said DC 9 - 24v in with just a USB-C adapter fixes that.
Radxa are just looking at doing negotiation via uboot to encompass all even the cheaper PD models on the market, but so far there is nothing that ends in a cul-de-sac.

You are talking to me? In an answer to a post where I linked to that? Seriously?

Whatever that is. Just in case you’re talking about USB PD compliant USB-C chargers… I tested a bunch of them and with more recent OS images than the initial Ubuntu image (rock-5b-ubuntu-focal-server-arm64-20220701-0826-gpt.img) problems existed only with the expensive ones.

@dante4 No duh dude. I’m not some newbie wet behind my ears. I’m darn near 50 this isn’t paleobotany or advanced metaphysics. I can also read quite well and I’ve read all that over a month ago. My word stands. Rock5b is nowhere near ready. I read November or maybe September October for general release. So don’t wax authoritative like you have some revelation to purport. Get out of here dude. Get to work and get your stuff together. Clock is ticking time is money.

1 Like

I’ll write this and then get back to my successful business. Attention software developers- your work and contributions are tantamount and essential to this community. Y’all are invaluable and deserve y’all flowers. I personally thank you all. Blessings. That said in our world y’all not as important to the companies making these gadgets as consumers are because we spend the money and here on earth- money talks everything else runs the marathon. T kaisers constant complaining about android or Dante4 acting like some sort of know it all- know this - without general consumers, your work on the big stage is inconsequential. Good day

@Mecca, erm. So, you was asking for review of board and now says you don’t need it? That’s fine, i guess.

Thank for your opinion, it’s worthless.

A fan will be used as active cooling how big is this fan? I am planning to replace it with a Noctua fan.

Did I miss the opportunity to get a coupon? allnetchina doesn’t seem to offer them anymore, and ameridroid still lists them on the page, but the price after coupon are like those from allnetchina before coupon, plus I don’t see the actual option to add the coupon to the basket.

I guess I missed the time frame. I remember telling myself I should do it some time earlier in July, then forgot that tab in my browser. :<

I think you missed the boat. But anyhow even paying the full price you will be getting a good product for your money. I have the 16 GB RAM version that would mean i will not be bothered by low performance in the many years to come.

1 Like

That’s what I feared, indeed. Yup, still a good device. In case a pre-orderer changed their mind and does not have enough patience to wait until shipments, please feel free to contact me, I’m interested in buying that coupon of yours. I’m interested in the 16GB variant too.

1 Like

About the allnet coupon, is it normal to still not have received anything (just the validation of the order)?

Yep. https://shop.allnetchina.cn/collections/frontpage/products/rock5-model-b-rk3588-pre-order-promotion-voucher

When the product is available, we still need to wait “in queue” to get the product, based on when did we get our coupon. So, even if it is released now, likely you still need to wait a bit :slight_smile:

(I ordered in Jan, almost right after announcement, for a 16GB variant)

1 Like

No PD is a BIG problem, since besides being a power supply port, the USB-C port is supposed to work with a USB-C monitor, like my Dell U2720Q. It is expected that Rock 5B can be powered by the monitor (90W PD) while providing DisplayPort and USB 3.0 signal.

1 Like

Fully functional usb c port is a big plus. Today you can connect keyboard and mouse to monitor and connect SBC to monitor.

You will have power, monitor, keyboard, mouse all from a single usb c port. No extra usb hubs is required.

Lol. Really. Ok. Logic reason and the understanding of empirical data has informed my opinion sir. Get to work buddy. Time is money

Any news about the EU Distributor ?

Current progress for USB C PD is, the Dell monitor is the one work the best on ROCK 5B, the model we tested is U2720QM

1 Like

You will see PR soon about the EU distributor. Some news for you to refer:

4 Likes

i hope it is not the same as pine eu store who is even more expensive as the original store , and then talk about taxes as the price diffrence that is bs and eu warranty is not a excuse to make a product 100 euro more expensive we all know eu warranty is just air .

a few euros is possible

and the 2 german stores in the list are very EU and even 1 of that 2 has a raxda rk3588 wich is cheaper as the lower 4gb version