Introduce ROCK 5B - ARM Desktop level SBC

What was jack’s reply?
I’ve been wondering about the release date too

1 Like

The way it works is that 1st or 2nd revision samples have been produced and these are handed out to developers and problems and errors are brought to the attention of Radxa.
Depending on what Devs find in use no-one knows how much is working and what revisions need to be done.

Its at that stage and likely more details will be unveiled next month with the current date I guess.
How much work, how complete, how many revisions are all questions like how long is a ball of string.
Until you unwind it and measure it no-one knows and they can only make guesstimates.

You arent from raxda and you answer??? If you dont know please calm down. No one asked you.
There is no answer from raxda team. My the last post was a sarcasm…

1 Like

I haven’t got my Dev sample yet so yeah I pretty much know what stage things are at.
Dunno if I am late too the party or at the same time as others but don’t think it will harm to say so far the dev sample has not yet been received and that likely again just a guesstimate that the time frame for dev party might be approx right.

If you check github https://github.com/radxa/overlays/tree/main/arch/arm64/boot/dts/rockchip/overlays you can see Radxa is busy at work and currently adding much for the RK3588, but not finished yet and still at an early stage even though Radxa do have a quick product cycle.

Or even what I think are the 1st images specific for the Rock5b https://github.com/radxa-build/rock-5b/releases/tag/main-50d438d7

Bro take it easy. I know i feel your pain. All we have is eachother until our goodies have been released. These are the last 5 minutes of the countdown…(although they feel much longer…like months instead of minutes :frowning: )

3 Likes
1 Like

Hi ok good. But im buying more than 1 item and i would like plan my budget.
Will rock pi 5 be released by july 22-24rd or after that date, given the current state.

This is me making an educated guess as it is a how long is a piece of string question.
I would say that date is far too short as the RadxaZero2 Dev party was months ago and I am sat here confused to why its not been released as think its brilliant.

Its a bit like Raspberry who can be out of stock for months where something in the supply chain just makes things uneconomical or queued and guess maybe that has happened to the RZ2?

Being honest I would say to get dev party items shipped, get dev info, process possible new revisions, get built, packaged and ready to go, prob not a chance.
I would say Sept/Nov if things go very favourably, if that helps with plans.

Is the price of this going to keep skyrocketing?

I don’t ask this with any tone, purely curious ( :blush: ) … as of right now my $50 rebate feels kind of pointless given its original pricing … I’m saying it’s maybe better for me to wash the $5 cost of the voucher.

( i’m unemployed, and hence the money is something i need to factor in )

Haven’t seen any mention of price change Eliot?

1 Like

Huh, that’s strange … only the price is listed on Ameridroid at $219 … which is not what’s listed in the below price listings.

Oh well, never mind, since the Dolby Vision isn’t a thing either, I’ll just happily drop that $5 in Ameridroid’s pockets, and mute this thread, as it’s just a bit too expensive. Cheers anyway!

@hipboi Hi, Why don’t you use aliexpress as another channel for selling, which is convenient for customers?
For example, your competitors from firefly are actively using this site https://s.click.aliexpress.com/e/_9JfvnP

1 Like

For what I’ve seen on Allnet they offer two shipping methods (I’m in KY)
US Economy Express ( 7-15 working days ) $13.97, the 7-15 days probably not guaranteed
DHL Express (~5-10 days) $29.68, I personally haven’t have good experience with DHL, they always charge excessive amounts for brokerage fees.
In ameriDroid if you only get the board it will be most likely between $5-$10 for shipping since the board is not that big nor heavy.
For me I prefer to order locally, in case the board is damaged I just send it back to ameriDroid between the US instead of having to ship it all the way back to China. Also ameriDroid is taking pre-orders for the board so they can ship in that order, and I guess that Allnetchina will send an email when the boards are available so customers with the coupon can place the order then, but I’m not sure about that.

2 Likes

Maybe an X3 could be next or whatever matches the mid range Mali-G715 GPU (7 - 9) cores…

1 Like

@hipboi Could you please recommend wifi6e tri band capable WiFi module for upcoming rock5b. I see you recommend dual band wifi6 module by realtek. Please also recommend tri band solution as well. Thank you.

Intel ax210ngw should work just ok like it does on rock 3A :slight_smile:

is Google Play gonna be available in the radxa’s release of Android 12?

2 Likes

Not sure if there were any updates since the last time I read.

But will there be any compatible cases made available on any of the distributor sites for ROCK5B upon release of the board?

3 Likes

It seems as if there aren’t any answers right now. Radxa must have sent out the boards to all the devs because I haven’t seen any of them post lately. Good for them. As for the rest of us ‘nobody’s’ I suppose we will get our preorder when Radxa gets around to it. I know things take time. I also know other sbcs with same soc have been available for at least a month. Oh well good things come to those that have inexhaustible amounts of patience lol

1 Like